Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Scroll

Been reading On the Road: The Original Scroll, by Jack Kerouac - it is a mad, mad book that makes me want to hit the road myself. This is a book that for better or worse defined a generation of Beats. Jack was made the defacto king of the Beats, thought that wasn't his intent, he wanted to portray the mood in the 40s and pen a story about a search for something, "IT" as he calls it, perhaps searching for a lost father or who knows and getting some kicks along the way. If you have never read anything by Kerouac, Ginsberg, Ferlinghetti, or Tom Wolf you need to get you to the library and read the notes they laid down. What an exciting time to be alive. I long to hit the road myself after reading the small part of the book I read, talk to the people, all the people and get into what ever they have going on. What excitement.

Well, back to this most awesome tome!!

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At 6:50 PM, Blogger nanuk said...

That, and the fact he also seemed to bed some woman almost every night as he moved from crash pad to crash pad.

This can be explained, of course, by his Canadian roots, being born Jean-Louis Lebris de Kerouac. And if Wikipedia is to be believed, he started to write On the Road in French.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

That name sounds so familiar.

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

skin me,
daddy-o.

/t.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Evalinn said...

It´s great when a book does that!

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

sounds very interesting!

Keshi.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger tkkerouac said...

Can you read it aloud on tape and then send it to me?

K fine, just write about certain passages that catch your brain,
like aha moments.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

I'll hit the highlights when I finish the book. There are some pretty good essays about the making of the original scroll preceding the story.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Fuff said...

Intriguing stuff Phos. Following on from Nanuk...he was also rather bonkers..

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Fuff said...

Though aren't we all?
Fascinating read.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

hv a good one Phos! :)

Keshi.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger jin said...

Take a break from your book and check this out!
;-)

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger Lexcen said...

Having read thousands of books, I still rank "On the Road" as one of my favorites.

 
At 4:14 AM, Blogger puerileuwaite said...

Groovy, man, I dig. And since i have the book already, I'll plan on actually perusing, provided it doesn't put me on the train to Squaresville. Now, where's my black beret and turtleneck? Some L-7 mighta took 'em.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home