Saturday, September 15, 2007

KIll Them and Then Take Their Stuff

Katy (DAK) caught me red handed (no pun intended) – I am a crappy commie camera collector. Truth be told I didn’t even realize it was happening. Mrs. Phos doesn’t understand, we are back to the one fishing pole concept, but there is something about the soft focus manual setting quirky photos that really touch something in me. Maybe it is my astigmatism - the camera actually sees the world the way I do. Perhaps it is the potential for some really artsy photos. Whatever the deal is I own two Chinese Holgas, one Russian Lomo LC-A+, ordered a Lubitel 166 from the Ukraine, and have a bid in on three old Russian Lomo Smena-8M 35mm cameras.

The Ironic part is a spent a good part of my adult life trying to figure out ways to kill commies, lots of them in one fell swoop with rather large weapons. How times have changed.

At any rate, I enjoy the best the commie camera makers have to offer and the pictures will appear from time to time, so please forgive the grainy slightly out of focus KGB quality shots – don’t think of them as crappy snapshots taken by a deranged Parkinson’s patient on a trampoline, but rather as art.

The Holgas. One I use for black and white, the other is loaded with color film; Mrs. Phos finds this humorous...

My Lomo LC-A+





Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

KGB QUALITY

they don't make 'em
like that any more, phos

ahh, the good old days, eh?

on a serious note, some of the images you're getting out of these things really are... different... i think successful lomography will depend heavily on finding the right subject matter (maybe not, but i think it might) -- interesting stuff, as always -- will be watching

/t.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Lexcen said...

Communist cameras are like communism, they don't want to focus on reality.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

/t. Thanks /t - I am looking forward ot seeing what the cameras can do - and can't...

Lexcen: Well put!!

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I have a digital camera that's kind of old.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

ll: No worries. I have an old digital I take with me almost everywhere, just in case there's a photo op. That and Mrs. Phos loves when I take pictures of her eating at a restaurant.

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

They STILL make them ? I thought it's been 17 years since the Soviets I guess the old manufacturing habits don't change - which is probably good for you.

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger Sister Copinherhair said...

Hey Phos! With such a collection brewing, it might be kinda nice to make a nice display of them on a shelf or in a cabinet somewhere. Don't tell Mrs. Phos that I gave you this idea but you should start collecting some antique cameras too. I think if they were diplayed nicely they'd be an iteresting conversation piece.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

sj: Their loss is my gain!

du: I won't tell Mrs Phos, she might put out a hit on you - she isn't too keen on me getting anymore cameras.

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Dino said...

sorry didn't mean to out you there. So do you develop the film or do you take it somewhere?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home