Thursday, September 13, 2007

One Thing From China That Won't Hurt You...

Despite the latest flap over poisonous Chinese products, the Holga Camera remains safe to use - I think. Maybe a little radiation, but no more than your average 10 or 12 x-rays in a row would produce.

This is a crappy plastic camera from stem to stern. Even the lens is plastic, which accounts for the soft focus. Add to that random light leaks and you have the essence of the Holga. They are cheap, so I bought two, one for color and the other for black and white. They use 120 film and I use rubber bands and electrical tape to secure the back and dampen the light leaks to a degree. It may sound like a lot of trouble to go through, but it is a fun little camera. It has a bulb setting so you can hold the shutter open indefinitely, and it is easy to use for double exposures as it will take a picture every time you push the lever whether you have advanced the film or not. There is also a hot shoe for an external flash. Interestingly enough the camera takes some very sharp photos with the flash

I have added three pictures taken with the Holga as examples. Two of a static dispaly F-4, one in black and white, one in color and one night shot to demonstrate the low light capabitities.

The final picture I spotted when on the way home - a fluffy lost Little Lamb cloud, for Little Lamb.






Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Thank you, Kid. I love clouds.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Oh, and make sure you don't put the camera in your mouth, you should be safe then.

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LL is right!

i've stopped eating
appliances, furnishings,
and common household gadgets from china, and now i feel much safer!

/t.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Pat said...

You are amazing Phos! Cotinually amazing!

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

ll: The biggest hazard so far has been taking action shots while driving - don't tell Mrs. Phos, though...

/t.: there are still all those mystery products in bottles under the kitchen sink, though..

ec: Thanks, I think...

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger jin said...

Haha! Yesterday when I took the pics whilst driving I said to D, "Phos chastises bloggers who take pics whilst driving!"

Oh wait...I know what you're going to say, the stereotypical dad comment: "Don't do what I do, do what I say."

;-)

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger How do we know said...

oh btw.. i really thot the second pic was super cool.

But your customer referral of the product will leave no doubt in any buyer's mind. :-)

I do not even buy Chinese wipes.. and u went for a camera.. thats the surprising part.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Ruela said...

The airplane is yours?

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

jin: Depends on what you are taking pictures of as you drive along...

hdwk: I wonder if anything is safe anymore... Actually when I was kid I am sure all our toys, the walls of the house, and the car were liberally doused in lead paint - so it is too late for me, but save your selves!!!

ruela: In a manner of speaking it is my plane - I pay taxes that helped buy it.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Dino said...

so how many cameras does that make? Do you have a room to store them all in???? lovely photos

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Is it sync'd yet? said...

That is interesting it really has a "feel" to the picture. When I saw that, the soft focus, the muted colors mixed with the wierd sharp edges at times. Gives it that 50's look.

Gnat.
.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

dak:Well there are quite a few, actually. Explaining that to Mrs Phos isn't easy. She never understood why I needed more than one kind of fishing rod either... Must be a woman thing.

gnat: You are right. I had a Brownie Hawkeye 110 when I was a kid that took pictures just like that. Little did I realize I was producing art, not just grainy black and white snaps.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Phs, I won't tell Mrs. Phos if you don't.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Please be very very careful if you drive and take pictures at the same time. STAY ALIVE!!!!

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and
especially
when driving
drunk & backwards
through a lamb pasture

/t.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

ll: I don't do that anymore as far as Mrs. Phos knows...

/t. That would explain the white goopy stuff caught in the tire treads...

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

The Holga makes it look like you live some place nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home