Saturday, December 16, 2006

What did you Expect




Went out to day to pick up a few things – that was a mistake.  I keep hearing the economy has slowed, well you wouldn’t know it by the looks of the stores today.  Even the bookstore was mobbed and that’s saying something in a state voted stupidest in the union.  



I think I set a record – I only came out of the bookstore with one book in my hands.  I think the crowds threw me off my game.

I have read quite a few books recently but have yet to offer up a review. I have read several books on World War II and so far they have been worth the effort. One of them, “The Rising Tide” was by Jeff Shaara and it was a big disappointment.  I think he tried to cover too much ground in one book – the North Africa campaign and the drive into Italy is too big in scope to be manageable.  

One other covers the Battle of the Bulge and so far it is the worst account I have ever read. The Author apparently decided to buck the trend and not talk with any of the surviving participants. Sometimes I get the feeling authors are just trying to cash in on a trend.  The Bulge is actually a Christmas story in that the conflict ran through the holiday. We are coming up on the 62nd anniversary of the battle, though after trying to make it through the checkout at Target I think it may still going on...

7 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

I recommend not going out to "pick up a few things" until at least the middle of January. I was out today and it was nuts.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Saturday is a busy shopping day. Especially in Decenber.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

LP11: I understand. The soldier is low on the list of things considered by the higher ups and the government. There were a lot of promises made by the government - few of them have been kept.

Chickie: Right you are. Even mid-Jan you are still bucking people making returns. I figure the merchants will be putting out the Valentines and Easter stuff next week.

LL: I think every day is a busy shopping day in December!!

/t.: Love the holidays? You can have my share…

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

so I was up on the roof this morning as you had suggested... ha... not!

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

so I was up on the roof this morning as you had suggested... ha... not!

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

one book wow. Hey I read a new Charlaine Harris book - Grave sight - from the Harper Connelly Series. Great boob I have to dine the next one Grave Surprise on paperback. Until then I fell in love with Laurell Hamiltons Anita Blake vampire hunter series. I read 2 of the books yesterday and I ahm half way through book number 4 right now.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

FS: Sometimes a roof is just a roof.

DAK: I will have to check out the Blake Books. I a book on U-Boats called "Wolfpack" I need to finish and then off to some fiction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home