Sunday, November 19, 2006

Well Met, Old Friends...




The Goddess of Serendipity and the World’s Largest Fountain

If there was a Goddess of Serendipity it would have to be my fourth grade teacher. We have been writing back and forth for some time now, and got the opportunity to meet here in sunny Arizona. It was amazing to see her again, just as lively and gracious I as I remember her – still concerned with teaching, still remembering the students from all her classes and the teachers she worked beside. I was in love with her and crushed when she married someone else. In those days students didn’t have a chance with their teachers, unlike the schools of today where that line has been crossed several times.

It was a wonderful visit, her husband and I had quite a bit in common, I have long since forgiven him for stealing my love away. The pair has such energy such a love of life it was a joy to spend the afternoon with them. I hated to see it end, but Mrs. Phos and I were tuckered – of course my former teacher and her husband were going out dancing after we left. More power to them. This was possibly one of the best visits I have had, and hope the journey back here next year.

Oh, almost forgot, the world’s largest fountain – it was near the rooms my teacher and her husband rent. I feel the fountain is a tad arrogant considering we are in the desert and the city is constantly whining about lawn watering, but builders and developers runt he state so excess and avarice are the watchwords of our state – and now, after this past referendum, they have to be in English.

16 Comments:

At 7:28 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Gee, I had crushes on several teachers, but didn't get to stay in contact with them.

That fountain does look very relaxing.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

**If there was a Goddess of Serendipity it would have to be my fourth grade teacher.

awww school-day crushes. I always had female teachers...how unlcuky am I!

Nice waterfall pic!!

Keshi.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

LL: It'd be more relaxing if water wasn't so scarce in these parts.

Keshi: Lots of crushes - mostly involving me being crushed. I have Mrs. Phos now so no worries.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a crush on my teacher too, in primary school. He didn't even look in my direction. Hmmm...wonder why....maybe too young???

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

kn: I think that was probably for the best.

Odd how some things seem pretty reasonable to kids - I had this plan to marry a girl I met in fifth grade and live in my room at home. Hey, it seemed like a good idea at the time!!

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice fountain. Never had a crush on a teacher but it is fun to see them years later.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

P.kid, is the fountain man made or natural?

hi /t.!

I think /t. has a crush on me.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

thats great :)

Keshi.

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

pk

I had a teacher in homeroom in junior high who had a crush on me. One day at the end of homeroom period I was the last one out of the room (trying to finish some forgotten homework I guess) and he turned off the light as we were about to exit.

He said "Aren't you afraid to be alone in the dark with me?"
I said "no".
He said "You should be...".

I was like 13...He was like I don't know 30 something...I found this remark quite strange at the time and can only figure now that he must have had a crush on me. Luckily, he never even spoke to me again which at the time I thought was also quite strange but I am glad he was able to restrain/contain himself. Art teachers...go figure.

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's actually a fountain? It looked like a geyser -- like Old Sparky or whatever his name is ... the one in Yellowstone.

What is the age difference between you and your teacher? Just curious. ;)

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

DAK: It is fun to still be around to see people later!!

Lamb Manmade, the wate ris what is refered to out here as "gray water" slightly used, but still wet. I wouldn't recommend running thruogh the fountain.

/t Thanks for adding me - I have to get off my ass and start redoing some o fmy links too.

Keshi I have to slide on over and see what you are up too - maybe later. I enjoy your pictures and your insights.

FsClose call. Check your pockets and make sure you don't have a trouble magnet in one of them - if you find one, give it to yoru ex for X-mas. Hope you are feeling OK!!!

Dan They compare the fountain to Old Faithful, the city is proud that it is bigger and it goes off every hour on the hour.

Considering her energy levels, I am not sure my teacher is older.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

ur most WC anytime mate!

Keshi.

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Fuff said...

Ahh, but do you still fancy her?

 
At 3:00 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Fuff: No - she is nice but I have all I need right here at home.

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I've added you to my blog.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

ll: Thanks. I plan on adding you as well - just have to sit down and play with the links.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home