Sunday, October 22, 2006

In the Soup


Two recipes that are great for clearing out the fridge are fried rice and soup. I suspect restaurants used take the same tack with the Soup de jour – whatever was left over from the day before goes into the pot. Nowadays I suspect they just pop open a can of something, but I could be wrong.

Sausage soup

2 pre-grilled spicy bratwurst diced
Barley
Lentils
Red Onion rough dice
Green Bell pepper rough dice
1 small can Portobello mushroom pieces
2 pints of canned chicken broth
1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 Tbs water
1Tsp dried Oregano
1Tsp dried Parsley
Kosher Salt and hot red pepper flakes to taste
1 Tbs olive oil

You may have noticed I left out quantities in some of the ingredients. I used the hand full or this handful of that method, but roughly, the peppers and onions were about a third of a cup and the barley and lentils were a ¼ cup each, more-or-less.

Put a 3qt pot on low heat, add the olive oil, peppers, and onions; season with a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper flakes. Allow to sweat until onions are translucent, add mushrooms, sausage, barley and lentils, turn heat to medium high and stir to coat lentils and barley. When sausage starts to sizzle a bit, add chicken broth. Add the parsley and the oregano. Simmer soup, stirring occasionally until lentils and barley soften. Taste and adjust salt and peppers as necessary. Pour in cornstarch mixture and bring soup to a boil, stirring constantly until broth thickens. Cool and serve. This makes about 3-4 bowls of soup.

13 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger concerned citizen said...

looks yummy! my daughter is making a bean soup today from the bag of 15 bean mix. We all have a hankering for a hearty soup I guess. So far bacon ends & pieces have gone into it, half an onion left in the fridge. I threw in some mirin (cooking sake) I hardly ever cook with out wine, anymore.

Those Rouladens are looking better & better, too. I'll have to try them.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Fuff said...

Yum. I might try that out when the cold weather pitches up. My mum always used to make lentil and roast ham soup in the Winter.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

l>t: It is cool here too, for Arizona. Time for chili and stew. Hey it drops below 70 and I am reaching for a jacket. Bean soup sounds pretty good!

fuff: I really like lentils, in fact I toss them in about everything. Bsrley is high on my list as well...

 
At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks good. Thanks for the recipe.
I'm going to throw some together for this unseasonably cold weather.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

YUMMY looking pic!

Keshi.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Hammer: It has been down in the 60s here at night. I wake up in the morning expecting to see ice!!

Keshi: Thanks, I saved some soup for you!!

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

I'd really luv to taste what u cook Phos...cos the recipes sure sound delicious and the pics look great!

Keshi.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Brioche said...

Hi Uncle phos!
My Mummy says you have cute dogs here!
Can they come out to play?
arf! arf!

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

keshi: You are always welcome.

brioche: My dogs are sociopaths and don't play well with others, unfortuantely. Congrats on your own blog...

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Becky said...

Looks good but unfortunatley I don't cook or buy produce whatsoever. p.s. the kitty pics are no longer up top on my blog

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

Please Phos bring us a new picture!! I really can't see this bowl of "something" anymore! My stomach is not so strong in the early morning hours... lol

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Sorry, DM, I will try to get something else up - I have some things that need clearing up...

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like those kind of soups. In east germany they have this soup called soljanka which is pretty much lunch meats, tomatoes and what ever else needs to be eaten mixed up. I always liked it. I tried to find a recipe for it in English but only found a Russian version here is the link http://www.russiansabroad.com/Cuisine/Recipe.asp?ComId=142

 

Post a Comment

<< Home