Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Out on the Town

Bitzee, Breakfast, and Beads

Spawn of Phos, all two of them, and Ms. Phos unlocked the door for a short period and let me out in public. I hadn’t seen my son and his wife in quite a while, so it is nice having them and our grandpuppy Cashew visiting. We were lucky in that my daughter was able to come along as well, though we missed having her husband with us. Someone has to work, I suppose.

Anyway, we loaded up Ms. Phos’ van and headed for Glendale, AZ - a town that is probably one of the more poorly named cities in the US, as there is neither a Glen nor a Dale anywhere within about 500 miles of the place. There is however, a quaint restaurant called Bitzee mama’s where the Phos clan had some breakfast, if you count tamales and tostadas as breakfast food. The food was ok, Ms. Phos and daughter of Phos stuck with the more rational breakfast, son of Phos ordered a hamburger just to needle me (I hate when you take someone to an ethnic restaurant and instead of trying the specialties of the country they whuss out and get the cheeseburger) and his wife ordered biscuits and gravy, which had the appearance of congealed dog vomit. The original Bitzee Mama sold it to someone else and the place isn’t quite the same - the quality of the food has fallen off a bit, so sad but that seems to be the way things go when a popular place changes hands.

After the meal it was off to the Bead Museum, one of the few things in Downtown Glendale worth a look. They have revamped the facility and this time the change was for the best. The museum is really nice and we were lucky enough to see part of the exhibition. The womenfolk retired to the museum store where they proceeded to empty my wallet – ok, the book on making glass beads is mine. Looks kind of interesting and I can see the fascination Gnat has for glass blowing, though this is on a much smaller scale. You can still get some cool shrapnel if you screw it up, so I have that going for me, which is nice.

The final stop in Glendale was Arizona’s Best Kept Secret (their words) Cerreta’s Candy Company. They do make some great candy and once again my wallet found itself in Ms. Phos’ hands. I got some jalapeño peanut brittle out of the deal so all is well.

It is so nice having everyone around, including al three dogs. We had son of Phos’s in-laws over and with her sisters two little ones it was a three ring circus without a ringmaster. The dogs loved the little kids because the kids were easy marks for handouts. As much as I hate this Deitz-Crane shanty they call a house, and I do, it really felt nice to have it filled with life for at least a couple days.

14 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey you may want to turn on the word verification to get rid of the anonymous. At least I get the FIRST REAL COMMENT.

jalapeño peanut brittle oh that sounds disgusting. But then I hate peanut butter.

Dogs and kids are the perfect buddies. Our pups love kids because there is always someone lovin on them.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Katy: jalapeño makes everything taste good!!!!

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger jin said...

LOL!!! Actually:

My first thought: CUTE name for a pup!!! CASHEW!!! HAHAHA!!! I LOVE IT!!!

My second thought: Ewww!! jalapeno peanut brittle.

My third thought: Hmmm....jalapeno peanut brittle!

My fourth thought: I wanna try jalapeno peanut brittle!

My final thought: SHIT! I forgot to leave a comment....

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Hi Jin! Jalapenos and sweet go togther pretty well I have found.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

Hearing about your visit is making me homesick.

I just had a dinner of cashew chicken. No dog was in it though. I don't think so anyway.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Pat said...

A: I think jalapeno peanut brittle sounds awesome. Even on very 1st thought!! Of course, jalapeno chocolate-something would sound even better!!

B: Where the heck are all the photos? Camm on Phos - you have a new camera after all!!!

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

seems like Kiddo had lotsa fun...cooool!

Keshi.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Cherry! said...

We had all the family here on the weekend too. It was fab but I can't gurantee it will be fab next time! hahaha!

Sounds like fun and I'd def give the peanut brittle a go!

Glad you had a tops time!

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Chickie: I miss my brother a lot, he’s back in WI. Don’t know when I’ll make it out there to see him

EC: A: I am waiting for double Jalapeño brownies to show up on Jin’s site
B: Blogger wouldn’t let me post more pictures – but I add some later when the software decided it was ok.

Keshi: It is nice having everyone together. Was a time I was anxious for the kids to head out on their own, now I want ‘em back. Life is funny.

Cherry: I know what you mean. There are some relatives that if I never see them again it will be too soon, but I really miss everyone in the immediate family.

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger Pat said...

Don't know if others have experienced this: but when I find Blogger hiccupping at accepting my photos, I try saving my post as a draft first. Then I go back in and voila! posting pics is no longer a problem, for some strange reason. The other little trick I keep in mind is being sure to always choose the ".gif; .jpg" format before selecting "open" (when posting from my own computer, that is, rather than from a photo storage website).

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

pk

How about wasabi caramels?

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

EC: I've tried a few things along the lines of what you mentioned, sometimes it helps and sometimes not. Blogged is more of a mule than a thoroughbred, I fear.

FS: Why not? I like the wasabi dried peas!!

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are have strange taste why in the world would you mix hot and sweet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home