Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Webster Sells Out

Webster's Dictionary announced the addition of 100 new words. You can tell a lot about a person by the words he or she uses, whether from the new hot list or the old wrinkled list. I am of the later persuasion. You can tell you are old if you use words like "tinfoil, icebox, and steam shovel. You are old if you remember when the Dollar Store was a "Five and Dime" or "Dime Store". I believe that is another sign of inflation where the dime used to buy what a dollar will get you today.

I miss the Dime Stores. They had more class than most of the dollar stores and many, such as Woolworth's had a lunch counter. They survived up into the early mall age where I suspect high rent and low returns forced them out. The last Woolworth's I saw was in Nuremberg Germany almost ten years ago. It is a shame really. The food wasn't bad, they had specials, and it was a nice place to stop for a soda when out at the mall.

Early on we sat at the counter and ordered a chocolate or lime phosphate. They were pretty good. You don't see those any longer. No more Fizzies or Bonomo Turkish taffy either. I owe Bonomo a lot as they were responsible for many quarters under my pillow. Nothing like Turkish Taffy for extracting that loose baby tooth!

Most the candy and treats I ate as a kid are gone. The companies were probably using the same stuff China is in trouble for now to flavor their product. There has been a resurgence of some of the older candies, some never went a way. One of my favorites, Necco wafers, have been around since the late 1800s and show no signs of disappearing any time soon. Whatever the case you won't be buying them at your local Winky's 5 & 10.

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Blogger Sister Copinherhair said...

My mom and I used to always have lunch at Woolworth's when we went shopping. I miss them too.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

du: You just had to be careful and not order chicken on Fridays - they always had a fish special on Friday so your chicken was cooked in the same oil and tasted just like the fish.

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

taffish
turkey...
/
ahh, fond memories
\
/t.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger none said...

I must be old. I remember a lot of that stuff. Espcially the dime stores like woolworth and TG&Y

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

/t.: You had to put it in the freezer, then smack it hard on the table so it broke into little pieces - best way to eat it.

hammer: No worries, I have you beat. I remember electric buses and getting to mix your own chocolate milk at Howard Johnson's. Also watched the Lone Ranger, Rin Tin Tin, and the Cisco Kid - and they weren't reruns!!

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

there r Woolworth's in Aus...r we so behind? :)

Keshi.

 
At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we
haven't
seen woolworth's
here in canada since 1971...

am thinking now anyone in aus must be fortunate

/t.

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

also,
remember
the movie...
"on the beach"...

/t.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

I love Neccos! I was thinking that I'd have to ask you if you liked them and then you mentioned them in the next paragraph.

This post makes me want a snack.

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger caramaena said...

Lime phosphate???

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger wallycrawler said...

So your say'n Websters made a "gingormous" mistake ?

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Dino said...

while I have no clue about the stuff you mentioned (must not have made its way to east germany) i did hear about the new words and some of them made no sense what so ever

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Becky said...

I must be young, I don't remember ever seeing any of the above. I'd heard of them before but never saw them. Could it also be b/c these are predominantly northern places, Woolworths?

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Is it sync'd yet? said...

Swell post.


Gnat.
.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Big brother is watching and slowly changing our language.

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3ig prother !s matching end glowly uhanging cur ianguage.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

Phoso u mite like to check out my latest holiday destination. :)

Keshi.

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hah! Scott said 'Swell', *giggle*

I remember 5&dimes! My nana took me to one. For buttons and thread I believe. Ooh, how I loved those little hunts for just the right trimmings. I wonder if that's where this obsession of mine started...

Never had Necco wafers Or Turkish Taffy. Maria introduced me to a 'Big Turq' the other day tho... still not sure I liked it, something like a chocolate covered jujube... tastes a bit like soap... Oooh, which reminds me of "Thrills" gum. Ever had that one? I remember when gum came in chicklets in a little cardboard box with a tiny plastic 'window'. We used to make make the worst noise with them, by blowing through the tops. LOL!

I love dollar stores, but only the true dollar stores. Like the Dollarama, where EVERYTHING is a dollar (sometimes two or three for a dollar, Woot!). No place like it. I think I'll suggest they start a snack bar there. ;)

I liked your post. It made me hanker for that Neapolitan Toffee I used to get on my way to school... MMMM, and Swedish Berries!

*LMBO!!! My WV started with 'PEZ'!!! **

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

Don't forget bubbler! Of course, not so much tied to a time as a place.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Sorry, I was out at the 98 Cent store!! It's like a Dollar store, only 2 cents cheaper. One rule of thumb I follow with most Dollar stores here - never buy anything you plan on putting in your mouth. It has worked for me pretty well so far...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home