Monday, July 09, 2007

Dust in the Wind


Time moves on and things change. The landscape around Tiny House is slowly turning from agriculture to homes. Cities are growing as aging Northerners seek warmer climes. As much as I complain about the influx of people I have to admit I am part of the problem. One has to wonder where the breaking point is and the pressure becomes too much on the land. Resources, particularly water are finite in these parts. Unfortunately, money trumps common sense when it comes to land development. Some rivers are already showing the strain. Drawing ground water up stream combined with the ongoing drought is a deadly combination.

Above is a picture of a machine shed that will soon vanish, as did the water tower near our house. The tower was part of an old cotton gin, now replaced by the wonders of Wal-Mart. A poor trade at best. It is sad to see, but building mean progress and that seems to be all that counts. Mrs. Phos assures me it is like that everywhere on god’s green earth so no point in moving.

Anyway, the weather is starting to tease – more clouds in the morning, but not enough to do us any good, yet. I hope that we’ll see some rain by the end of the week…

I included another cloud picture because I know /t. likes those. It is the sunrise this morning - I forget clouds probably aren’t a big deal to some of you, but we don’t really see them that often so it is exciting for me…

13 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

This world is getting too busy for me.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

u always hv greta pics here Phos. ty!

the weather is changing...ppl r changing...life's changing too...brace urselves!

Keshi.

 
At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen, phos,
& to LL & keshi

and thanks for the
sky pic -- it's a real beauty

don't know if i mentioned it before, but i actually do sky pics, too -- they turn up from time to time in my PbN work

anyway, thanks for the thot, good post

regards to mrs phos & tiny house,

/t.

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Kirsten N. Namskau said...

I like your cloud pix. I alway "see" thing in the clouds. In the last pic of your, I per example see a horse and a giant with a handbag ... can you find them??

 
At 3:30 AM, Blogger none said...

My town is the same way, all the woods and hill country is being replaced by strip malls and tracts of housing.

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Becky said...

My husband hates it when I shop at walmart, so basically I still shop there I just never tell him. He feels so strongly about walmart that he says if walmart were done away with the economy of america would collapse. Walmart is evil... but they have good prices, double edged sword.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

ll: it is hard to keep up

keshi: The climate is warming and people are cooling...

/t.: Thanks /t.!! No sky picture today because it is a flat dull gray. Still no rain!

kirsten: I see a hand bag made out of horsehide, does that count? My brother and I used to lie on the hill in the backyard and watch shapes in the clouds when we were kids. It is a great sport.

hammer: It is a sad state of affairs. I miss the country.

becky: I will never darken Wal-Mart's door way. I don't care if they are giving the stuff away. The place is like a third world country inside and their produce sucks. Wal-Mart is like a swarm of locusts devouring everything in its path. Someone needs to dig up Sam Walton and drive a stake through his evil black heart.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Dino said...

love the cloud picture. things here change too - more woods and meadows vanish to make room for housing developments and stores

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

cool! :)

Keshi.

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

I send you some raindrops. We have plenty these days.

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

Once more great pictures. like'em

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

DM: How do they start all the fires at the soccer stadium when it rains??

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

I miss clouds, too. And listening to the breeze through the leaves of trees. Palm trees and mesquite don't quite do it for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home