Sunday, August 30, 2009

Cookin' Southern Stylee

Mrs. Phos has a to-do at School and the theme is Southern cooking. She turned down my offer to cook up some greens, which I love, but figured chicken and dumplings and biscuits and gravy are the way to go. I have made biscuits and gravy, but not the chicken and dumplings so this should be interesting. As far as biscuits, my track record with baking ranks right up there with the Great Pompeii Greek Fry-off of 79 A.D..

I'll try anything once though so biscuits it is. I usually cheat and use the glop that comes in a can. Ok, you caught me, I like the way the stuff explodes out of the tube when you smash it on the counter. Anything involving an explosion or ball of fire counts as fun in my book.

I am taking some liberties with the chicken, the recipe calls for it to be cooked in the pot, but I find this is unnecessary if I use stock, so I plan on grilling the chicken beforehand, then adding the meat later. The North won, South lost, so I do it my way.

8 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

I use canned biscuits but they scare me. What if they explode badly and put my eye out? I like to make the kids open the can while I hide.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

Doug did some nice cooking this weekend. He made some vegan sausages and it tasted pretty close to the real thing :)

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I like chicken.

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like lamb.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Ruela said...

fun ;)

 
At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

quick chick bbq

1 chicken
1 electrical cord
1 electrical socket

attach electrical cord wires to each leg of chicken... add bbq sauce to taste

easily adapted for lamb & small critters

enjoy!

/t.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like /t's technique.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Lily said...

guess what I also have to do some cooking and stuff like that to help my hubby with his school project as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home