Thursday, October 04, 2007

Ideas That Spring From Too Little Sleep


Now You Are Just Being Silly

I have been thinking about Arizona’s problems for some time and have been toying with an idea that might help alleviate a lot of them in one fell swoop. We’d need some cooperation from neighboring states, especially New Mexico, but I think it would work out well for everyone.




Arizona doesn’t have enough water, the housing market is slow leaving workers and builders in the lurch, people are at each other’s throats over immigration, there is flooding in the Midwest and Texas, and so on and so forth. I want to propose the construction of a canal starting in Ohio, dipping South through the Southern states and Texas ending in a containment lake, the former state of New Mexico (would you miss it?). It would be a massive construction project giving unemployed housing workers and volunteers from Mexico plenty of work, enough that no one will mind folks crossing the borders to help out, as well as siphoning all the excess floodwaters from the South and Midwest into the droughty South West. Everyone wins – well, except New Mexico. Side benefits are that AZ would gain a shoreline without a cataclysmic Earth Quake and people could over-seed their lawns to their hearts content. I just called it the TPK Canal, since I came up with the idea, but I am sure the University of Phoenix would pony up a couple Mil to have their name on the canal. There possibilities are almost endless…

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Blogger none said...

I left Albubquerque 25 years ago and returned recently. All they do is latex over the old 1950's metal buildings. They haven't built crap since I left.

I like your canal idea. I like what your state is doing about illegal immigration even better.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Ruela said...

audacious project.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Sounds good to me.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Dino said...

very interesting idea I am sure all those flood prone areas would be happy to share

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

hammer: I lived in Clovis - if my plan is accepted I will take a boat to the spot where Clovis used to be and pee over the side of the boat to commemorate the town.

ruela: Audacious? Perhaps, but highly do able. With flooding in the East and drought in the West it is the perfect way to even things out...

ll: You could take a boat to AZ to visit.

dak: And think of the water skiing!!

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Sister Copinherhair said...

Those wheels just keep on turning, don't they? I think Mrs. Phos might need to think of a few more chores for you to do. ;)

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

wut a great idea!

Keshi.

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

slow day, phos?

:)

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger nanuk said...

I could send down some seals to keep down the fish population in that there resevoir you're proposin'.

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I could and the dogs could be my shepherds.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger puerileuwaite said...

Hey! I LIKE New Mexico! Would you please consider West Texas instead?

(p.s. - One more request: would you please NOT warn the West Texans before you flood it?)

Thank you in advance.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

The Georgia O'Keefe Museum, visit us underwater.

I thought I'd be bummed if we lost that. Guess not.

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger Pat said...

Hey Phos - new dueling cleavage contestants! Come see...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home