Sunday, July 22, 2007

There He Goes Again...

I believe it is easy to become upset with groups of people based on their beliefs, race, or customs, whether because of how we were "fed" as children, who manned the pulpit, or irrational fear caused by the unknown I have found however, that dealing with people from these groups that though I may not share their ideology I like them as individuals. Aside from the obvious things I believe hate can rob one of unique cultural experience, the color, music, food, and thought process that could serve to enrich one's life.

I admire people that have passion. Perhaps a bit envious as well. I am still in search of something to be passionate about. I am of course passionate about my wife, but my work, not so much. While the technical aspects intrigue me, I don't find any real excitement or satisfaction in working with computers. It has become a job, no one seems to care if I help out or not. I do it because I have to work. The things I would like to do do not generate money (unless one gets some real breaks) so they remain hobbies. I have walked down many roads searching for that one thing that really sparks me and aside from one sweet brown-eyed Italian girl, I have yet to really find it. There are things I enjoy, but nothing that grabs me and shakes me to the very foundations.

My explorations have not been in vain, however. I have learned a lot about many different things. I look back at some of my experiences and at times I am amazed at what I have seen and done. I can never say my life hasn't had some interesting moments.

One thing I enjoy is reading. I can't get enough. As an addiction I suppose it could be worse. Learning in general is fantastic. If I could find a way to do it, I would go to school for the rest of my life. There is so much out there I don't know,and I crave that knowledge. There are a lot of interesting people out there who are doing or have done interesting things - people such as you all. I guess that is the main draw of Blogging; shared experiences. Thanks for that.

If you aren't tired of reading, visit The Cursed Tongue's latest article "The Short Shrift Grift". I have told her she is wasting her time writing for the Blogsphere and should have her own column in a major newspaper. Her latest is an editorial on the Iraq and our government or lack of therein. If you are up for some bad poetry, try "MOPP4"...

The latest book I have read is "The Deathly Hallows". I am afraid I became quite engrossed and stayed up until 0200hrs Sunday morning to finish the book. I am sad to see the series end, I have enjoyed walking the halls of Hogwarts with Harry and his friends, but then all good things must come to an end.

For those of you who do not share the zeal I have for reading and don't want to plow through all the meanderings above, here are some pictures of the weather from yesterday. We never got much beyond the spectacular show, but that was worth the price of admission.



13 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I keep hearing that the last novel of Harry Potter was written and kept thinking to myself, that has been said before. Wasn't that said before and the author came out of retirement?

Nice pictures of clouds. I like clouds. I especially like the last picture and think it would make good wallpaper.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

ll: We've been waiting a long time for the last installment of Harry Potter. Sadly it is the last Rowling will write on Harry. I don't know if she plans on retiring, but it will be hard to top the success her Harry Potter series has had. I think she can afford to lay in the weeds with all the books sold and movies made, however.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

Great pics as usual.

Im not a HP fan...in fact the HP hype bores me to death :) But thats me.

Keshi.

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger How do we know said...

i do love reading, and therefore liked the post better than the pics! :-)

The pics on all the recent posts are superb though, and we are going through a similar spell here - all thunder and no rains.

Waiting for rains in a heavily humid atmosphere! :-(

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Dino said...

i lovvvve reading - always have a book on me which is why my purses have to be a certain size. I can't wait to read the HP series but I have to wait for the last movie to be out - or at least nearly be out otherwise I get to annoyed at the stuff they got wrong.

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Oh thank you for not spoiling the book, I got it Saturday, but didn't have a chance to read it yet. I will start today and I'm sure I'll be done with it tomorrow, then again I'll probably make it last for a few days on purpose. I can't wait though! I was hoping they would make another after hogwarts book.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger none said...

The computer work got really old really quick for me too.

I think once the learning stops the fun stops too.

I've been reading a lot myself. It seems to help.

 
At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

have
yet to read
harry potter #1

have yet to read lotr or the hobbit

fantasy/magic is not my style, i guess

great clouds, phos -- awesome!

/t.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Pat said...

Hmmmm. Seems to me Jamie over at Brokeneck Blogging (http://www.jamieleeming.blogspot.com) got it right when he said ("it" here referring to malcontent, or restlessness, or boredom, or whatever):

"I think what I mean ... is ... if I allow myself to be upset ... I'll be upset!"

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

Really cool post Phos. I think the same in many ways. Maybe one has just to go through world with open eyes and heart and hope for a door to open. Until then I'll do my job and enjoy the many things that do me well even if there's no money in them ever. But this way I see many things and meet many people and this makes my heart sing ;)

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

I haven't read all of the Harry Potter books and am trying to not give in the urge to snoop on the internet and find out the ending.

 
At 4:11 AM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I, too, have not read any of the Harry Potter books.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

keshi: Potter hater!! Just kidding. I enjoyed it because it followed the life of a kid that overcame and went on to do great things. I enjoyed watching him grow.

hdwk: Hello! Long time no see. I need to make it over to your site again. Your right, before the rain and then the next day the humidity is intolerable, especially with a temp of 102-104F

DAK: I drive Mrs Phos crazy with that during a movie - "That isn't how it is supposed to be!!" That is one reason I did not go to "Bridge to Terabithia". I read the book and from what I saw of the promos for the movie the director really missed the whole point of the book.

hammer: It has become rather routine. I work with a fixed set of hardware and software. I've always been a big reader, it is my escape.

/t.: I started with Asimov and have been drawn to Science Fiction and Fantasy ever since. I do read a lot of other stuff including a lot of historical non-fiction. Glad you enjoyed the clouds!!

ec: Yikes. It is a case of feeling bad and then seeing someone else and going "Holy shit, look at that guy!!" What a great story of overcoming the odds. Thanks for the link.

dm: Thanks. Maybe we can bum around Europe taking pictures. That would be fun!!

chickie: Come on Chickie, read the book!!!!! It'll help you to tune out the boys for a while.

ll: I just love stories where the main character comes into his or her own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home