Monday, March 05, 2007

Stuff

I was yakking about content on the web a couple posts ago, this includes video. Jinks dropped by for a visit and left a tip on a great movie “Whatever happened to “The Floor Monkeys”. The video is in the vein of “Best in Show” and “Waiting for Guffman”, very well done and worth a look. There is actually something on U-tube besides two acne scarred teens jousting on tricycles.


Damn Illinois Nazis

Men and women of my father’s generation from around the world banned together and went to a lot of trouble to wipe out Nazism. I am having a rough time understanding why it is suddenly making a come back. One thing hasn’t changed the group is made up of thugs and the clinically insane. I’ve seen film of their demonstrations and marches – what an embarrassment. They make a great argument for limitations of the Right to free speech.

Smoke Alarms 101.

Our smoke alarms decided to go off this past weekend. Why I do not know. There was no fire, I didn’t set the grill up in the living room, and my wife didn’t turn the bathroom into a sauna by letting the shower run for forty-five minutes. The funny part is I didn’t have the slightest idea how to shut them off. I finally talked with an electrician who advised me to just trip the breaker and they would reset. They did and half an hour later they were going off again. I spent most of Sunday climbing up and down a ladder using canned air to blow the husky fur out of the detectors and replacing the batteries – figured while I was up there I might as well accomplish that little chore as well. I am not a ladder kind of guy. My basic rile of thumb is to never climb any higher then I care to fall. That rule has always worked well for me.

Birds Like to Fly Because They Don’t Have to Use the Airport…

Despite my rule on heights I will be climbing into an airplane towards the end of the month. Every time I get done with a flight I swear I will never get on another plane, but sure as hell, before you know it ol’ Phos is airborne again. It has almost become worse trying to run the gauntlet at the airfield than the actual flying. The crowds (I do like people, just not all at once), the luggage monkeys rummaging through my stuff, and the way the airlines have dehumanized us makes flying a real pain in the ass. Sometimes you have to fly, I understand that, but I sure as hell don’t have to like it.

Labels: , , , ,

19 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

My father worded for the airlines, so flying is nothing to me. What I don't understand is why my sister is afraid to fly. She hates it. To me, its a quick way to get somewhere. I don't like to fly, but I'm not afraid.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

LL:Even funnier - I was in the Air Force. I had to fly a lot (as a passenger)and I hate it. You are right,though if you have to get some where in a hurry you can't beat it.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger none said...

last time my dad was at the airport they decided to frisk him.

When they were feeling him up, he asked:"Wouldn't it be proper if you bought me dinner first?"

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

phos,

"They make a great argument for limitations of the Right to free speech."

i know you don't really mean this -- you know the nazis will be the first (ok, second after bush) to actually put it into practise

we are free only so long as we all are free

/t.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

hammer: They couldn't - the airlines don't serve dinners anymore...

/t.: Sorry, just got riled up. It upsets me to see people buying into that crap and then showing it off on the streets. It is an embarrassment to white people everywhere and an affront to humanity. The monkey video was pretty good though,eh?

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger jin said...

I haven't been on a plane since I was 19.

That's not to say I won't ever go on one...but if the place is within a days driving distance...or even two days...LOL!

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger tkkerouac said...

number one, why do you have to fly?

number two: Look at flying as a exciting experience, especially the take off and landing, and notice all the people in the plane, great writing material,
plus, if your going to die, what a way to go!

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

**my wife didn’t turn the bathroom into a sauna by letting the shower run for forty-five minutes

LOL!

Keshi.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Dino said...

i don't mind flying but I refuse to check luggage unless I go overseas. I hate the whole process

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger Kirsten N. Namskau said...

Freedom is freedom only as long as you think, say and do as the authorities tell you to.

Airplanes ... Free as a bird ... aren't you??

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

kid, why are you afraid to fly?

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Is it sync'd yet? said...

Want to cry a little bit from laughing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqvPjykrqQw

I know it hurt but crist it really makes me laugh. I think it is the sound....

Smoke alarms...I think that is a clear signal you just need new ones. EH?

Nazis.....sigh.

I love to fly...only because I like where I am going most of the time. I actually only take a backpack most of the time. Keeps everything all quick and neat.

Trains are fun as well...bring a book.


Gnat.
.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger KATHBEE said...

Don't really like flying myself - but do it and it's no big deal. Half my family have 'flying phobias' - I don't know what to say about that?

My friend told me yesterday that her smoke alarm decided to BEEP every few minutes in the middle of the night - in the end she had to get up and take the battery out (I informed her it needed a new one - she said "I haven't even USED it!!!") She said the last one she owned got taken down and smashed with a hammer!!! Said she'd RATHER burn to a cinder or die of smoke inhalation than put up with the 'crap'!!
.....No! She's quite stable actually....

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

Next time I fly. I plan to fill my quart sized baggy with 1.7 oz bottles of limon flavored vodka.

But I'm sure you'll be fine.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger caramaena said...

We'll be flying at the end of the month too. I've never really had a problem with flying, though I think you guys over there have a lot more security stuff to go through than we do.

Now I just need to think of some easy ways to keep a 4 year old occupied for the flight :)

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

Yeah, Nazis suck! Too many people seem to not think anymore. Also over here in Europe. What an easy way to go!

I don't care too much about flying. But I really don't like airports. I always feel like they're watching me all the times. And I'm sure they do! Yesterday when I landed from Norway once more they took away my luggage and smelled on every sock. Sucks!

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Jinks pointed me to that video too. Very funny.

And I sure wish I was a bird. Oh boy would that rule. But alas, we are stuck to the earth, and need to deal with airport personnel to fly. HELP!!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger tkkerouac said...

come see my daughter raymis ass

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

It is not the flying so much as the tumbling out of the sky in a ball of fire that concerns me...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home