Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Stupid Virus Spreading Rapidly



TV is Evil

Allowing the same box that brings Wresting and the home shopping network into your home is probably not the best choice for a baby sitter. Now the dark side of TV is creeping into the nursery . How long before the TV industry realizes the marketing potential and starts pandering to the burgeoning infant market? I can’t help but think that allowing your two year old TV privileges is borderline neglect. Whatever happened to nurturing? The infant watching TV has just taken his or her first steps on the road to Stupidtown (this happens to be EL Mirage, AZ according to latest statistics). For the love of god, read to your child, hold him or her in your lap and read to them. I am going to publish a list of books in a future Blog that would be suitable for young kids.

The Death of Common Sense

“I never wear a seatbelt.” This statement was right out of the mouth of a young student in my wife’s pre-school class. After Mrs. Phos recovered she explained patiently to the child that aside from being against the law, not wearing a seatbelt could be dangerous. What kind of parents are those? I mean even our dogs are belted in when we drive anywhere with them. Ok, part of this is so Yukon doesn’t decide to come on up and help me steer the car, but in a larger sense it is so the pups are safe.

Hope everyone is having an ice weekend so far. There is supposed to be an eclipse of the moon on 3 March, so we have that going for us, which is nice. Never hurts to look up once in awhile during your busy day.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

T.V. for babies?! That is just wrong.

Hopefully, the kid saying that he didn't wear a seatbelt was exagerrating.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

chickie: There have been enough incidents around here that I think the kid was telling the truth. I don't know if folks feel that if they lose a kid they can just squeeze out a replacement or if they are just stupid I am leaning towards stupid.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I always wear my seat belt. I feel naked without it. If I happen to take off and not have it on, I have to get someplace safe and put it on.

I have survived accidents where I could have been dead without one. That, plus God isn't ready to take me to Heaven yet. So I guess you're stuck with me for a while longer.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

LL: Having you around is good news, I am not stuck. Seatbelts are cheap insurance...

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Sister Copinherhair said...

Going to the vet is always a fun. After I strap the two cat carriers in with seatbelts, I have to strap the boy in and finally myself!

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Dino said...

not only is it bad for those kids to be infront of the box nonstop but the parents wander off and just leave the kids there. My kids will be severly restricted with TV. they'll read and play dress up or ball and drive the pups and cats crazy

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Damsel:Everyone is safe and sound, way to go!

DAK:Like my mom said, the kids'll wind up with square eyes if they sit in front of the TV too long.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger concerned citizen said...

I was raised without TV. I learned a great appreciation for books.

My husband on the other hand grew up with TV. One summer I got him & the kids to live with out it. Boy, did they gripe at me! I read to my kids alot. But, our favorite thing was snuggling up & telling stories. My kids loved to here me tell my revised versions of fairy tales. Now my grandchildren love it.

TV sucks!

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Kirsten N. Namskau said...

I agree with you 100%.
When my children were small and all up to teenages, I had a specific time reading for them. (Also to bring them to come home before dark, ssshhhhh ;))
This time become so popular that even my children's friends wanted to come and listen, before they went home.

Common sence ... do anyone have common sence any more???
WHERE??? WHO???

I think one have to be older than 40 to remember & know what common sence is.

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

l>t:Storytelling, the lost art. Your kids are lucky...

Kirsten: Never trust anyone under thirty. It is heart warming to hear you took time to read to your kids. That is wonderful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home