Sunday, March 04, 2007

Looked for the Moon and got the Bird

watched eagerly for the eclipse but was rather disappointed. The moon did turn a bit dingy looking, but the air quality here in the "Valley of the Smudge" could easily account for the yellowish appearance. The light from the moon was a bit much for my Canon S3 so all I got were bright white lights, though I did capture a nice picture of one of the streetlights, just to the left of the moon. Odd how one blur of light resembles another while trying to focus a camera.

I did take the Leica out, but it is an old school camera so I have to use up the film, get it processed, and see what comes out, if anything. I had help with the exposures, but without a cable release the camera shakes as you take the picture and I am afraid all I may have some photos of blurry lights

All was not wasted, I was able to capture a couple of late evening forays by our Costa’s hummingbird and a young female at the feeder.

I talked a bit about carbon usage and found a calculator. It isn’t the best as it only accounts for travel and power usage in the house, no charcoal or wood burning. I think a reasonable person, even if he or she didn’t buy off on humans as a factor in Global Warming would at least want to minimize their part in wasting resources. The compact fluorescent bulb everyone is yakking about is one of those examples. You may not worry about carbon, but wouldn’t it be nice to cheat the electric company out of some of your hard earned money? Since money trumps right, according to our vaunted leader, then do it for the cash if not for the sake of your kids.


Side Note: I was going to go for the cliché and put a picture of a soap box here, but search as I might I couldn’t find one on the Net. There were some gift boxes, to be sure but nothing I could stand on. There were Soap Box Derby cars I could sit in, but that misses the mark. I could have used a peach crate, but they are rather flimsy, especially for a fat dude like me. That would just end badly. So you will have to settle for this rambling excuse vice a picture of Phos on his soap box. My profound apologies for this disappointment.

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

more
awesome
hummingbirds

nice of them to show up to rescue your mission, phos :)

those fluorescent bulbs are a little more expensive (tho not much) than a standard incandescent, but they last a longer and save on your energy bill -- it's really a no-brainer -- we're switching over here one or two at a time

/t.

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While It IS disappointing, and would've been an outstanding example of Pictoral Humour, the Ramble was just as good, and quite Genuine. Love your hummingbird pics. I love closeups---My old Bolex and I would get right up on stuff you never look at that close and Yummy Yummy---great Stuff.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

WOW some very pretty lil birds Phos!


Keshi.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

/t.:Thanks /t., hummingbirds of convenience as it were.

I don't think it hurts to conserve a bit here and there.

ppd:Thank you! I really enjoy taking pictures. I do need to get out and about more, though. I have pretty much exhausted the wildlife in the backyard at the Tiny House.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Keshi: Thanks. Don't go out in our backyard wearing red. I was mobbed the other day!!

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Nice birds.

I missed the eclipse too. I don't know if I checked on it too late or what, but what I saw is normal looking moon.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

LL: I think it was a matter of where you were watching from. Sounds as though England got the best view...

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

Love the birds! I wish I could lure some here.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger JINKS said...

Morning Phosgene:
Was blog jumping and came across yours. Hey, I'm in Memphis Tennessee and we caught just a portion of the eclipse, believe me your streetlight photo was probably more interesting...ya didn't miss a thang......
beautiful shots of the hummies. Noticed you are Computer Monkey so if you want a good giggle check out You Tube for "Whatever Happened to Floor Monkeys, the movie"......i'm the old broad 5:29 seconds into it......let me know what you think and watch that leaning to the left..personally I find you dodge more bullets if you serpentine.......later gator....Jinks.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger KATHBEE said...

Love the hummingbirds, they are just stunning! They can fly backwards can't they? They're the only birds that can do so...if my memory serves me well (which believe me, as an over-40, it often doesn't!! haha)

The "side note" cracked me up!! You're funny!! :)

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

chickie: Should be some in your neck of the woods- put out a feeder and they will some…

Jinks: Thanks for the tip on Floor Monkeys. It was very similar to “Waiting for Guffman” only Floor Monkeys was funny. I love the”I should have insisted on using real monkeys”. Didn’t see any old broads however. Please let me know if your group makes another.

kb: Hummingbirds can fly all sorts of ways! I have been embroiled in a turf war between hummers and I am here to tell you it is scary. They aren’t very big but they fly the speed of heat and those bills are long and sharp.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Fuff said...

Very pretty pics Phos.
We got a clear night here for the eclipse and a good view but it was a bit of an erm, anticlimax really.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

Last night I saw a light as bright as the sunset, and thought it was the wonky annoying bad neighbor Auto Mall.

But it was the moon, as big as pie and kind of yellow in the Phoenix haze.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home