Saturday, March 10, 2007

Spring comes to Tiny House

A New Season Crashes into Tiny House

Spring fell upon us in a brash manner and appears all too willing to cede its turn to Summer. We are looking at scraping the 90s this weekend and are in fact, nearly there. Tiny House remains relatively cool thanks to tile floors and ceiling fans. I dread the day I have to turn the air-conditioning on, probably as much as the electric company reverse the onset of high temps. The hum of the coolers on the houses is the sound of money flowing into their pockets. There is no choice for us with the pups. Long furred dogs cooped up in the house need the cooling and I do not begrudge them the comfort. Daughter o' Phos files expenses for her dog under entertainment and rightly so. Dogs provide a pleasant distraction, though on their own terms and often at the least opportune moment. The fact you just fell asleep carries no weight with them when they want to play.

Roses Amongst the Frost

We had a rough frost, for here and many of the neighborhood trees and plants succumbed to the rime. I fear for the lemon stick and the rose bush, but both appear to have recovered admirably, the rose serenading us with blooms for our concern. I often think about planting another to keep it company, but have yet to develop the energy to do so.


HoHum

There is a certain comfort in knowing what the day will bring. Every weekend I clean the house. I cleaned the house last weekend, will clean it this weekend, and know exactly what I will be doing nest weekend. This dovetails quite nicely with the week, where I know exactly what I will be doing each and every day. No adventure, no mystery, just waking up to the life o’ Phos and pressing on. Sad really, but there you are.


Death Rides a Silver Can

I am a killer at heart. My latest victims were two teams of hornets playing Trading Spaces under my eaves. They make use of my house but pay no rent so they had to go. I laid some chemical warfare on them with predictable results. People are altogether too casual in the use of household insecticide. It is in fact a type of nerve agent, a chemical that attacks the central nervous system causing everything to shut down in a series of agonized convulsions. An incredibly unpleasant death and the reason the Air Force issued me the garb you see me wearing in my avatar. If you look on the can before you wield it you will notice the antidote is atropine. I carried an atropine injector for the very same reason. Just food for though next time you go to hose down the house with that can of raid.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger tkkerouac said...

can I pick your rose & would you come clean my house?

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

roses
at tiny house

and no hornets...

sounds like a wonderful place, phos

here the ice is almost gone and the first hibernating green things should be coming to life any month now

/t.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Dogs are fun to have.

Enjoy the nice weather before it gets too hot.

Enjoy the flowers too.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

tkk: Pick away, but mind the thorns. I'll clean, but no windows.

/t.:It's FNP here /t. no doubt. Can you feel the tips of your fingers and your toes yet? That is always how I knew it was Spring in Wisconsin.

LL: Thanks I will enjoy it while I can. Dogs are the best, couldn't imagine life without them.

 
At 4:41 AM, Blogger jin said...

The snow here is slowly melting...It's wet & damp.
:-P

I think Arizona would be a bit too hot for me but I've decided WI is a bit too cold/snowy. (It only took me 33 years to decide that! HA! Prob take me another 33 until I move! Ewww....I hope not!)

LOVE the rose pictures!

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Kirsten N. Namskau said...

Phos, you brought me to run to the kitchen to take a look at the ingredience of my RAID-insect killer.
Written with letters so small so it was almost invisible, it said ... Improdrine 0.2000%
Is that a nervgass?? Is that what you are saying??
Holy crap ....

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger KATHBEE said...

Nice roses and nice post...
My life is soooo damn unpredictable it's not funny!! It's unsettling. Stick with your predictable life...it's good!

I'm loving that summer is still here - went for another swim at the beach yesterday...want it to go on and on and on....

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Jin:I think it is going to be extra hot this year...

Kirsten: Not sure what improdine is, there are a lot of trade names. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just follow the directions on the can and you will be ok - I didn't mean to start a panic!!

kb: All we have here is miles of beach - no water as such. I like a little unpredictability once in awhile..

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phos :) love your roses mister gardener guy. whadya know about Tomato plants?? I'm gonna try growing them on my rooftop and everything I touch Dies. Help!!

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Dino said...

pretty roses love the color

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

Why isn't there Raid brand Atropine on the shelf next to the Wasp killer?

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

I love chemical warfare on insects. It's about time for me to make the rounds and wipe out some ant cities.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home