Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Glacial Debris

When I think back to my childhood, though Mrs Phos is convinced it is still in full swing, one place leaps to mind almost immediately - Mauthe Lake. Located in the Northern Kettle moraine and once Known as Moon Lake it has been the source of some of my most pleasant memories, whether it be walking the trail, swimming, or flaming barricades, my brother and I always had a great time. Later in life, the lake became our HQ for deer hunting and its proximity to the Fin and Feather restaurant didn’t hurt. Nothing like a cold Leinie’s and a passable prime rib after a day of sitting in the woods freezing your ass off. I think just sharing the time with my brother was worth the trip, we had the time of our lives. Thanksgiving was the best. If we were lucky, the lake was frozen and we could claim abandoned ice fishing holes and try our hand at ice fishing. That never worked out that well, but the trip though the frozen swamp to reach the New Prospect sports store to buy wax worms (and smoke bombs of course) was half the fun. I didn’t mind the cold so much back then. Spring, summer and fall was fishing off the pier, night hikes looking for deer and some mischief, or playing games in the trailer with a few other kids while mixing “suicides” out of various flavors of soda. When I am feeling bad I like to ravel back there in my mind – that is one part of the Great Frozen Nation I do miss.

Gnat's really got his glass on and a new look to boot, turning out some great pieces, and Sugarfoot has some great tips for exploring the wilderness – some I wish I had when we made that trip through t he swamp. Drop by Blogger World Cooking if you get a chance, leave a recipe or take one, but do drop by. In fact, there are many interesting people just a click away. I have the links on the side mostly for my convenience, but feel free to take a different path, never know when you might find a new friend!



moment of silence

Larry-Bud Melman



Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger tkkerouac said...

Aww did he die? He always screwed up on Letterman, played the dry humour guy.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Dino said...

okay let me get this straight - you like to remember times out in the dark and cold?

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

he died?

Keshi.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

tkk: He always reminded me of a very funny but confused Truman Capote for some reason.

DAK: Yes, but only because I have forgotten what the cold and dark feel like. If I went back to WI in winter I wouldn't last more than 2 secs.

keshi: Unfortunately that would be correct, he won;t be making the David Letterman show reunion this year.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger wallycrawler said...

Congratz Grandpa !

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Kirsten N. Namskau said...

I don't have TV, so I have not seen the Letterman show ...

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Memories are nic, especially the good ones.

I like how you advertise our blogs.

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your Blog Promotional talk at the end---the best links I have found are off folks I already read. I am such a Blog Geek. Speaking of which---my main page is the Purloined Plum---check it out. And also---congrats on the paperweight---although I am slightly jealous---it WAS the best idea. And I still get a marble!!! Yea!!! xoxoxo

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger nanuk said...

Winter is my favourite season. Come to think of it winter is the only season up here. Abandoned fishing holes freeze 3 inches thick in an hour at this time of year, but a heck of a lot better than hacking through 6 feet of ice just to find there is about one inch of water between the ice and the bottom of the lack.

BTW - the race ended today. Some good husky photos.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

wc:Thanks!!

Kirsten: believe me, you are better off without one as the shows are all crap, except for the Three Stooges marathons,of course.

LL:It is fun talking with my brother about some of the things we did as kids. That is what family is all about.

There are a lot of great blogs out there, you just have to be careful following the links from one to the next or you may never find your way back...

ppd: I did not know that, I will have to check out the Purloined Plum

nanuk: Hacking through 6' of ice and finding only bottom - I hate when that happens!! We were always out far enough, but I think we lacked technique. I went ice fishing while stationed in South Dakota and caught quite a few nice trout.

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger KB said...

Nice memories. And half the men I know are still living in their childhood.....

I don't know Larry-Bud Melman. I feel like I should.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home