Tuesday, January 30, 2007

It's All Fun and Games Until Someone gets Hurt!

Warning: This is not a religious posting. I am not the one to consult on religious matters as I am not religious and in fact have trouble believing in much of anything, sad as that may seem. If you are here to find words of salvation, you are reading the wrong Blog.

Somewhere between Lutheran Sunday School and reading the teachings of other people’s Gods I lost my ability to believe in much of anything. Sad, but there it is. The reason I am telling you this is because in my wanderings I came across a sentiment I would like to share. I may have read it in “The Incredibly Inept Person’s Guide to Buddhism” or it may have been the prayer of Jabez. It seems Old Jabez’s only contribution to the Old Testament was that he possessed a strong desire to obtain more land which was enough to launch an entire religious program, but I digress.

The statement I came across was basically “Go though your day without doing anyone harm”. Sounds like something that you’d find in a fortune cookie so it could well be Buddha speaking. He and Christ were both gentle souls and were both interested in having people treat each other kindly and respectfully. You can’t argue with that. The statement “do no harm” doesn’t make any promises – it doesn’t say be good to everyone, greet everyone with a smile, or buy a homeless person a sandwich, it only says do not harm anyone. Even so, that is a tall order.

Did that comment posted leave the wrong impression, did it sound hurtful, did that off handed remark harm someone’s sensibilities - those are tough calls, especially if your sense of humor is anything like mine (I hope that it is not). The obvious ones are not cutting someone off in traffic, verbally or physically abusing a coworker on the grounds they are a moron, and so forth. Ok, using the word “moron” is probably hurtful as well.

I think it boils down to “try your best to do no harm”. Don’t chop the infidel’s noggin off, don’t flip that discourteous driver off and spread the anger, but on the other hand, f**k ‘em if they can’t take a joke.

Epilog: If you mistakenly came here to “find your way”, sorry. Might I suggest you talk with this guy, but he’ll probably ask for money. Or check out the religion section at the library – tons of books and hundreds of philosophies – I am sure the answer is in there somewhere. Just speak softly or the librarian might have to harm you.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Blogger none said...

You know it's funny you mention that becuase it's my creed.

Also, my rights end where yours begin.

I wish others would think along these lines.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

hammer:Too many people have the burning desire to be in charge and I think all the power crap gets in the way of being a decent human being.

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hammer
(and phos)
hit that nail
on the head here

good post

/t.

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

huh, I must be reading the wrong blog! ;)

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Kirsten N. Namskau said...

All my child-hood I was told: "Do the best you can in all situations with the means and knowledge you have at the time. Then no one can expect anyhting more ... not even God."
This rule I also thought my children and we live after that.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Dino said...

we were always thought to do to others as you'd like them do to you.
Pretty much the same as unless you want harm done to you don't inflict any on others

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

I don't think Jesus taught people to respect each other as much as He taught them to respect and honor God- above all else.
The problem, as I see it, is that we are mostly focused on ourselves.
Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness, goodness, gentleness, & self control- are the expressed characteristics of God and Christ.
At the very least,
"Do no harm" is what's expected,
going a step beyond that by being kind, or patient, or loving is divine. You have that power Phos...I've read it :)

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

hurt never...help ever. Thats what I have been taught.

Keshi.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

/t.: Thanks

DM: You live in Switzerland - you're already in paradise.

Kirsten:Good rule - better still, you passed it on to your kids, that doesn't happen often now-a-day. I am sure your children are the better for your advice.

DAK: Ah yes, the "golden rule". It works well but isnt often applied, I often forget it myself.

Mayden: Not so sure about the God business, but actually helping people vice being benign would benefit everyone. Thanks for stipping by, hope you a feeling more bluebird-ish!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Timmy said...

I read a Billy Joe Shaver line the other day: "If you don't love Jesus, you can go to hell."

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Jay said...

I have a feeling that this would be a real challenge for me. Life as I know it would change. I'd probably have to cut my tongue out.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

timmy: I think that’s the idea - 2Bn Christians can’t be wrong! Great quote!

Jay: It is tough when someone just seems to be begging for hard time. It can be a trial biting one’s tongue.

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Sister Copinherhair said...

I wish my ex-husband had heard that line.

Funny...we must all be sitting inside thinking thoughts like this. My latest post is similar in nature...about doing good things for others.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

blonde71274:Relationships certainly call for going beyond the don't harm step. If one partner or the other is fearful of the other things will go bad fast. It always makes me sad to hear about relationships that fail, though I understand if someone is causing you pain or has the potential to abuse it is best to move on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home