Saturday, June 24, 2006

DESERT SHIELD/STORM

Rewrite

Some pictures taken during DESERT SHIELD/DESERT STORM. I was part of what I like to call the Bahrain Occupation Force, supporting the 35 FW(P) Wild Weasels. I was an enlisted Ops pogue conducting pilot briefings and such. The only real action I saw was getting up close and personal with a Patriot Missile Launch. The missiles flew right over my noggin as they went to intercept 2 – 3 incoming Scuds. The Patriot worked as advertised that night and it was interesting to watch. If you ever see a glowing red streak in the night sky it is time to hide, because that is a Scud.

It wasn’t all work and no play. During the SHIELD portion, we hit downtown Manama, a very pretty city on the gulf. I would actually like to visit again sometime, as soon as the boys get that beheading crap out of their system. Worked some long shifts, lived in chem gear for a month during the height of the war. Never a dull moment, but I did miss the family. For me that was the hardest part of any TDY (Temporary Duty) and I suspect it is the same for those deployed today.

I’ll try to put up more photos as I find them (I am not terribly organized and finding the pictures is kind of a treasure hunt)…



This was my home for about 10 months, pretty snug and I couldn't kick - the box in the right foreground is a heater/cooler. Kept the place pretty nice when we had electricity.


This is looking out over the gulf. It is midday, the bright object in the upper right is the sun. You could watch it through the oil smoke and actually see sun spots.


Here's a fellow Airman extending me a warm greeting. This dude was a Com troop and in my opinion the hardest working dude at Shaik Isa.


We did get some breaks. Here's a young Phos, sans Chem Warfare Gear enjoying a cold Fosties at the Cloud Nine Club. Apparently if Allah can't see you ( Bahrain is one of his blind spots) it is ok to drink, though you pay for your sins - that beer was three dollars. We really had it easy, the marines in Bahrain, the soldiers in Kuwait, and our pilots were on the cutting edge day in and day out, so I got off really light. Note: I am also extending a warm greeting, nothing personal, I don't think there are may pictures of my not greeting everyone...

9 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You told me it was the Doctors orders that you stop watching the news!

I'll won't revoke your Blog privileges unless you start looking up those "huskie" sites again...har har har.

I love you, you silly old husband of mine.

Is that half of the peace sign I see???

xoxox
me

ps...I think Fred is jealous 'cause you haven't blogged him!!!

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

What happened that now, all of a sudden, you know you were a pawn, or did I miss something?

I want to see sunspots. But I promise not to set an oil rig on fire.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger crallspace said...

Thought you said you needed to simmer a bit. Nobody called you a pawn.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

CS: Wrote this in the heat of the moment - prior to seeing your answer. On the positive side it has me going through some old pictures and remembering some of the stuff that had been going on. I have finally got to the point where I don't cringe everytime I hear a Civil Defense emergency siren.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Wife o' Mine: Fred the frikkin' fish is tough to photograph in his tank.

Actually yes, the Dr told me no more news at night - I get too worked up.

SL: Mom was right - don't stare into the sun.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger jin said...

>>>>>>"Is that half of the peace sign I see???"

Hahaha!!! THE BEST LINE EVER mrs. phos!!!

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

A friend of mine spent almost a year in the libyan desert building a power station for a swiss company. Hell! But they made their own beer there so they could survive ;-)

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Sugarfoot said...

Thank you Phosgene Kid and God bless one and all, those who have served, are serving now and who will serve in the future. Pawns? In the grand scheme of things, what actions are not in some way manipulated by others? Seems to me we are all pawns of sorts but it is what we do as individuals that in the end (our end) will count the most.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Jin: I htink it was the Arabic sign for "Hi, how ya doing"?

DM: It si tough adapting to other's customs. One of my tentmates recieved the canteen he "forgot" from his wife. It was filled wiht Captain MOrgan's Spiced Rum. every montht he cnateen he forgot would show up in the post. That was before we were allowed to head downtown and drink.

SF: THanks. You do what you have to do. I figure we were wasting our time in Korea, certainly didnt feel very welcome, but orders is orders so you do your best to ensure the success of the mission.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home