Friday, June 23, 2006

Up the Country

The Fourth of July is a ways off yet, but a post on another Blog really troubled me. An individual posted a comment stating he thought, “Maybe the United States was a mistake”. The sad part is he claims to be an American. It is hard to believe anyone would make such a disrespectful comment about his or her country – I don’t care what country they are from. I think folks get confused about the difference between politicians and their actions and the nation itself. There are many great people in America doing great things, extending their hearts, their hopes, efforts and treasure, even their lives to help others inside and outside the borders of the country. To condemn an entire country condemns these folks as well, and that is despicable.

If you dislike the politicians and the decisions they make (or fail to make) that is fine, in fact that is your right. Write them a letter, vote against them, write an editorial, lampoon them on your Blog, whatever turns you on, but don’t think for a moment their actions define the entire nation – the hearts of the people are the defining factor. I have said this before and will say it again; if you think your vote actually put any politician in office, beyond any local yokel elections, you are mistaken. If you think your representative actually gives a damn what you think, unless you are one of his big business backers, one of the folks attending his $1000 a plate dinners, or a lobbyist with a pocket full of cash, once again you are sadly mistaken. Then there are the cronies we didn’t vote for, because each official comes as a package deal. What I am driving at is each “elected” official and/or their cronies have his or her own agenda predicated on who fronted them the money for their campaign and not the “will of the people”, and therefore are hardly representative of the entire population of this great country.

Folks should be proud of their country, its achievements, and the people that strive to make our lives safer. Instead of grousing, take some action that makes the country a better to place live. Sitting back sipping daiquiris in your hot tub and badmouthing an entire country full of great folks is horseshit. If you are truly discontented there is another tenet of our freedom, you can certainly move elsewhere, somewhere that suits you better. Hell, I’ll even help you pack.

8 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Is it sync'd yet? said...

AMEN!

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Pat said...

I'll certainly second that ... AMEN!

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Sugarfoot said...

Your posting is fraught with contradiction but rather than pick apart each one I will only leave the following:

Your overall message of patriotism is spot on and there is marketable truth in your accusations of individual political interests and money however despite the whoring of the individual politician, our hope lies not within the individual, but within in the collective body of politics.

I love my country, this United States and ALWAYS no matter the time or place shed a tear and feel a genuine swell of pride when I hear our National Anthem and sit or stand up a little taller when I see the Stars & Stripes even as she hangs proudly on my home or in my shop.

I love your blog but disagree with the bleakness in the center of your most recent posting.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Pat said...

I think I understand what you are trying to say sugarfoot, but I for one still stand by my support of TPK. I don't think his post, any part of it, was "bleak", as you put it. It was a heartfelt reaction to the words of another poster/commenter. I read those same words, and quite honestly I had the same reaction to them. TPK just gave voice to those feelings and reactions. I have always made the very clear distinction that I have no use for most (if not all) of my country's politicians, and even many of its laws, but that in no way reflects how I feel about my country and its people. I, like you sugarfoot, am proud to be an American and am almost daily humbled by the vast majority of Americans. They are, by and large, an amazing group of people, and this country (land) of ours has indescribable beauty.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

SugarFoot: Thanks for the comments, not sure why my post is bleak, though it is merely my opinion that our politicians have abandoned us, particularly those who of us who served and are serving. I appreacite your input, thanks!

EC: Well put, thanks.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger jin said...

I hate that I'm lumped into generic terms like 'greedy oil burning americans' or 'spoiled americans' etc. etc.

A lot of it starts with the media & its portrayal of the entire US poulation being a 'paris hilton or a george bush'

(Notice I put those 2 in the same category...HA!)

Um...ok...anyway. I reduce, reuse, recycle anything I can & I know an awful lot of people who do the same. Good people.

Anyway...just my thoughts...& HEY!!! Blogger is still FREE & UNCENSORED!!! YAY!!! :-)

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

A few days ago I learned that 98% of all incumbents in Congress are reelected. I think that is bleak.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Jin: Like I said, there are some wonderful people in every country and to make a sweeping statement that the country sucks does them no favors.

SL: They are all bought and paid for long before the polls open...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home