Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Fathers Day!


Happy Father’s Day! Hopefully you know where and who your children are, and aren’t making a career of appearing on the “Who’s yer Daddy” episodes of daytime talk-schlock. Marriage often seems to be an after-thought if it crosses the mind at all – not being a prude here, but if you are going to have a family it is important to have commitment and an active partner. I’ve seen too much of the mom, her four kids, and her current boyfriend scenario to be able to safely say that a transient “dad” doesn’t work. The kids will be invariably dicked up, or the boyfriend will kill, abduct, or molest them. Just watch the news, it appears boyfriends around these parts like their babies like their martinis, shaken and not stirred. It is a great tragedy and unfortunately all together too common in the Great State of Arizona.

The other common scenario out here is the “If I can’t have them no one can” syndrome where the jilted boyfriend breaks into the ex-girlfriends home and kills everyone including himself. This appears to be an extension of the Machismo standard imported from South of the border.

I am lucky in that I have a wonderful (and extraordinarily patient) wife, and after listening to acquaintances and watching the news two perfect children. Yes, I said perfect. I don’t have to wait for visiting hours to go see them, they have never appeared on “Cops”, and both are married and have good mates. Even better we all keep in touch and support each other – that is the idea behind family units; mutual support.

Anyway, we’re off to eat too much Mexican food, then the theater, and then a little shoplifting at the local Target with my daughter and her husband. Don’t get any better than that!


****************

Dad is off hunting
at Butler Lake
Forever

10 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger Pat said...

Happy Father's Day TPK!

What is common in Arizona is also all too common here in Colorado. Just this past week the news was flooded with 3 s-e-p-a-r-a-t-e instances (remember, we're only talking a week) of people leaving their kids in cars with windows rolled up. The same week that each day was mid to high 90s and one day we hit 102! What's really disgusting? All 3 instances were in the same small town!!

What in the Hell is wrong with folks these days?

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

EC: It is almost as if parents now think their responsibilty to the child ends the minute it lands in the obstetrician's hands. Then it is up to the schools and other institutions to fix their little problem. Not all parents are like that, but I see more instances of it than I care to think about.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger jin said...

Folks these days consume too many chemicals/fast food & not enough healthy food & vitamins. (In my opinion, anyway.) They drink too much alcohol, do too many drugs & follow bad role models. They care about sex, not about love. They care about money not value.
Totally depressing if you let it get to you, but, if you are the type that eats when you get depressed, just come to my shoppe, at least there's no chemicals here!
Happy Father's Day phos!

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Jin: Thanks! So you are saying the world needs to eat more frosting??

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

Happy Fathers' Day Kid! :)

Ur dad is no more? awww...I miss my dad so much!

Keshi.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Cherry! said...

Kid I don't think that kind of thing happens here in Italy, but I know it most certainly does in Australia.

I hope you had a great Fathers' Day!

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Mummified said...

Happy Father's Day PK. I hope you had a good one. Sorry about your dad. I pretty much agree with your post. I am a square bear like that and a big believer in giving kids the most stable and loving environment possible. That means mummy and daddy.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger nanuk said...

I agree that children need both a mother and a father in a stable relationship. Just as long as that relationship doesn't involve actual marriage. My wife and I are going strong 19 years without benefit of clergy or state.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Nanuk: In some states after a cetain period of living togehter marriage is a done deed anyway. but you are right, the committment is the important thing whether it has an offical stamp or not.

Keshi: Dad is always with me - I can hear him in my voice and see him in the mirror.

Cherry: Thanks. Italians woudln't dare misbehave, the Pope lives there!!!

Mummified: Right! Raising a child may not take a village, but it does take two very determined people. It is really worth the effort in the end.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

good..

Keshi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home