Thursday, June 22, 2006

4 the Birds, cont...


Birds have always been a big part of my life, even now they continue to play some part. I was interested n nature from a young age, mostly rocks and minerals. When I was a kid birds were something you shot off the high wire with a BB gun. It wasn’t ‘til I was older that I developed a better appreciation for them, though I still consider pigeons fair game. That is one reason my wife won’t let me have that pellet gun I have had my eye on.

I was fortunate to meet a fellow student who was all about birds. I helped with a bird count along the Mississippi, and sat in a blind to trap, weigh, and band raptors. My friend eventually took up falconry and that was very interesting. It is one thing to see the bird perched in a tree, or flying along, but quite another to be up close and personal with the birds. .I even had a Kestrel perch on my noggin – very uncomfortable for me as they have very sharp talons, but it would be tough to get any closer than that. My kids were lucky enough to be a long for a visit later in life and got to pet a Great Horned owl my friend was nursing back to health and see his Goshawk in flight. It took my wife a while longer to get over the dead rabbit parts along side the food in their freezer when she helped make lunch. Hawks have to eat too.

I learned a lot and really fell in love with the wide world of birds. Now I only have humming birds for the most part. I did put out a regular bird feeder, but the pigs pushed all the seeds out and chased the hummingbirds off – all I was getting wee the flying rats that seem to dominate the city landscape. I have managed to get out a bit and see some local birds and hope to do more of that as soon as things cool off a bit. At least a trip tot eh Sonoran Desert Museum would be fun; they have a nice group of desert birds on display as well as a hummingbird enclosure. I’d like to get back to Montezuma’s Castle again as well, Beaver creek runs through the area with some nice cotton woods so there should be a lot of birds. I will wait until we can take huskies without worrying about hot paws!!

9 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger jin said...

OOoo...I don't think I'll tell David about this post. The Great Horned Owl is what he wants to specialize in for rehabilitation. He's not been able to 'touch' one yet! He'd be supremely jealous! LOL

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Is it sync'd yet? said...

Man you would go crazy if you saw that number of humming birds that we have at our feeders. My future wifes mother seems to know how to make the juice that keeps them around because at one time she had over 20 of them at once trying to get at the juice. After the hurricanes they came out of the wood work also because people that feed them where the only food source.

We also have a copper hawk that takes out doves in our back yard. It is some kind of crazy to see him/her f16 one of them while you are mowing the lawn.

Scott.
.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

PK

Please don't eat the birdies.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger nanuk said...

The only birds that winter over here are the ravens at the dump. They are endlessly entertaining, especially when it's windy and they invent flying games inevitably ending in the loser toppling backwards beak over tail feathers.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Jin: They're kind of messy, hope he doesn't try rehabilitaion in the house...

Gnat: A Shrike used to visit my father's feeder and he wasn't there for the seeds...

FS: Too small, but if you get enough of them the feathers look great on lady's hats.

Nanuk: Didn't Ravens give man the sun?

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Sugarfoot said...

And they're (ravens) not too bad roasted either...

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

SF65: Kind of like eating crow, eh? I think messing wiht a raven might be bad ju-ju, besides the ones i have seen look pretty ornery.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Sugarfoot said...

She looks like a ghost. Beautiful, mysterious and elusive.

 
At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... domain registrations laser printer cartridges christians unite propecia 3 in 1 credit report company http://www.cheap-domain-names-6.info/Domains24.html Setting up a domain in windows xp Digital image printing search Ferrari symbols Zoloft sr 71 Health pharmacy drug and medications v vardenafil Prebul jeep ringold georgia pilates yoga drum hawaii Seductive sex position bentley arnage red label lwb 40 mg of oxycontin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home