Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Rainy day chicken


Around the Tiny House grilling and barbecuing are rain or shine events. I've never let the weather get in the way, even if it meant digging the grill out of a snow bank (and I have). Fortunately most grills come with lids so even in a downpour the grillee stays dry and hot.

Storms have been moving from California into Arizona and bringing some much need rain (too much in some places - Scottsdale is handing out free sand bags) so I can't complain about the weather. Tossed some grass seed out and planted another climbing rose in hoping to take advantage of the moisture.

This is the first time I butterflied a chicken and it turned out pretty good. Even the breast was pretty moist and the legs were done. I have been experimenting with some new BBQ techniques in preparation for my brother's impending visit. I expect we'll be doing a massive barbecue tour of the area as well as attempting to scale the Everest of barbecue, the brisket.

6 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Blogger nanuk said...

I've fired up the Bar-B-Que up here when it's been minus thirty and more. Works fine as long as there is no wind, but the slightest breeze adds hours to your cooking. Once the topside of a steak froze after flipping!

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger boneman said...

there's a seasonning called WITTS and they have a dry rub for chicken that makes it taste glorious!
Slow cooked, get to heat and (I think it was 120 degrees) keep it steady for three or four hours.
Best days we'de let her slow cook for twelve hours, but dang, talk about eating into the rest of the day!
Still...if Jesus ate this chicken, he'de come back right away!
(probably wouldn't tell anyone who he was, this time by, either)

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh - I'm HUNGRY!!! ;)

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Jack K. said...

Dang, that chicken looks delicious. Glad to know you haven't been flooded out. Gotta check with my daughter who lives near Scottsdale to learn how she is doing.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

five feet high and rising!!!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger wallycrawler said...

That chicken looks amazin!

I'm not alowed da skin...But man try to keep me away from that skin man!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home