Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Requiem for film


I enjoy shooting film, especially 120 but the advent of the digital camera is to film as the asteroid was to the dinosaurs. It is getting tougher and tougher to find film, good film, though it is still available. Processing for 120 is a pain and I expect though it will never disappear entirely, it will become a mere artifact in the photographic world.

Mrs. Phos is happy with the digital because there is no expense incurred once the camera is purchased. Unfortunately, I really love cheap plastic cameras because there is a complete randomness to the process. A push of the button and all control the photographer has over the picture is gone. On the downside one might get one worthwhile photo out of the whole roll if the photography gods are smiling down upon him or her that day. That can become fairly expensive over a period of time.

Never the less I will continue to shoot with my toy cameras and hope that Kodak won't turn its back on film entirely. The corner drug store still carries a few rolls of film and many still offer processing, so I have that going for me which is nice.

10 Comments:

At 4:24 AM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I, myself, prefer digital cameras. After you buy it, or get it as a present, you don't have to pay for the film to get developed. As soon as you take your picture you can see it.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Jack K. said...

I have some Nikon film cameras and lenses that can be considered antiques. About four years ago I made the change to digital and have enjoyed that camera. This past December, I splurged and got an updated version of a digital camera. It is terrific. You probably have seen some of the results if you visited my blog since Christmas. There are more photos on the way from our New Year's trip.

Enjoy your new camera. I look forward to seeing your progress.

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

phos,

the loss of control
that you are missing here
is reclaimed in the digital darkroom,
which offers infinitely greater control and creative exploration than film ever did -- the learning curve is steep, but i would suggest that it is no steeper than the old ways

camera of choice: nikon digital
darkroom of choice: adobe photoshop

have fun

/t.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Camera of Choice: Faber-Castell
Darkroom of Choice: Walgreen's drug store

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Ruela said...

http://www.olympus.eu/penstory/




I like both but digital...

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

I use a Canon EOS Rebel Xsi for the digital. It is just a starter camera, but It works for me.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Ruela said...

it's cool!

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Ruela said...

my first award was a shot with a cheap camera...

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

I just found a shop where they sell many different fun plastic cameras :) fisheye, 4 pictures in one shot, psycho effects... cool stuff, love it.

cause I moved to another city I have to wait for my next time in Zurich... then I hope to get one of these :)

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Sling said...

/t. is spot on..I use the same combination of Nikon and Photoshop,with more than pleasing results.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home