Monday, January 04, 2010

Eating 2010

Spinach with pecans


Didn't make any resolutions as such. I recognized how eak willed I actually am and wouldeventually cave. I did set some goals, however. As gate keeper for the food that comes into the house I have opend the gates to more vegetables and partially shut them to meat and cheese. Shocking, yes, less cheese - they'll never let me back across the Wisconsin border. The gate is closed to junk food all together. Read soem interesting books by Michael Pollan concering food and found thme very informative, especially "In Defense of Food."

Pollan stresses making meat a side dish rather than an entree. This dovetails nicely with cooking Oriental stylee, where meat is used sparingly. That being said, there will be special occasions where meat is on the menu. There will never be any "mockmeat" meat substitutes. It drives me crazy when proffessed vegans have to mold some sort of vegetative matter into meat-like shapes. If one is going to go to that much trouble, just eat the damn hotdog and be done with it.

6 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger Evalinn said...

I agree!

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting concept making meat a side dish and hence reducing the amount consumed. I have kind of practiced that myself. Most of my meals are veggie but I am not a total vegetarian.

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger darkfoam said...

i love spinach salad! i don't get the mockmeat concept either. i don't mind going all veggie at times, but can't stand pretend meet.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Jack K. said...

That spinach salad looks absolutely delicious. Sounds like you have made some important dietary decisions. We have been cutting back on red meats. Chicken and salmon are great substitutes. And more vegetables are a must.

Healthy dining for the new year. It will be a happy one for you.

 
At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

time
for another
ode to meat, i see

/t.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

Mockmeat reminds me of cat food.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home