Sunday, March 01, 2009

Red Beans and Rice

Cooking up a bunch of red beans, though I probably have taken some liberties with the original recipe. Ok, I am winging it, but doesn't seem to be much to it, just lob in some beans, hot pepper sauce and some pig parts and your are off to the races. I chose hocks for the pig part component. I be loving me some hocks. There are others in the house that aren't into scrap animal parts but the fun factor of them discovering some pig trotters in the refrigerator far outweighs any complaining on their part.

Did smoke some peppers last night. Some will go into refried beans, the others, Poblanos, will be used for Rellenos. Got to love the Southwest, it is like pepper heaven.

Best check the stove, you all have a great rest of the weekend.

10 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Blogger boneman said...

Well, for sure, they are thankful for the recipes up this way, but, honest to gosh, Indiana can grow some of the meanest poblanos you've ever had!

I'll try to get a batch going for you and ship them on down!

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Pat said...

I love me some red beans and rice! But then again, I'm just a coward aren't I? (^_^)

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger blue ridge said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger sparringK9 said...

well, there is something to it. for one, if you started with dry beans that you soaked over night, you need to pour that soak water off and add new water before cooking down with the hocks and peppers. thats where all the gas is-in that soak water. just so you dont blow your wife out of bed. grrrehahaha

a touch of cumin is a good addition i also add parsley near the end for a bit o color.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Sounds interesting.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger G3T Films said...

Well, at least we know which way the wind is blowing in your part of the world...

Yuh, that's right, I made meself a fart joke!

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

will miss ya too Phoso!

*MWAH*

Keshi.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Beans' beans, the musical fruit,
the more you eat
the more you toot
the more you toot
the better you feel
so eat some beans with every meal

There's a good reason they call 'em whistle berries.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger How do we know said...

stop cooking so much Phos.. u r giving me a solid complex!

 
At 4:34 AM, Blogger dianne said...

I like the sound of K9's recipe and yes you should soak the beans overnight...I would leave the ham hocks out though (are they pigs feet)and would use smoked pork ribs.

This is a whole new world to me, what are Poblanos and Rellenos? and how do you smoke your peppers in a smoke box on the grill and are they chillies or capsicums? ♡

 

Post a Comment

<< Home