Saturday, February 21, 2009

On the Loaf



One day I am going to take my time traveling to Tucson and check out some of the sites. One is Picacho Peak, a landform which strongly resembles a volcanic neck, but is in fact some tilted faulted layers of ancient lava flows. It is also, believe it or not, the site of one of the last battles in the civil war. There is an Ostrich ranch South of that, it'd be fun to see those, maybe give Little Lamb a break and pick up some ostrich chops for dinner instead of any lamb products.

There are a couple of ranges of mountains that would be interesting to explore, the "Hotpaws" and the Catalina Mountains. Mt Lemmon is one of the peaks in the Catalinas, a very popular place to escape the heat in summer.

Mrs Phos and I are usually in a hurry to get down there and maximize time with my son and his family, so I guess the exploring is going to have to wait a while. My picture taking is goign to have to be confined to the grandson and taking quick shots out the car window...

16 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, Blogger boneman said...

Well, I know what the pictures would be of if I had a grandkid!
Screw the landscape. You can see that anytime!.
Heck! Look!
There it is, now!

Lucky dude!

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger dianne said...

Great photos Phossy, I like the top one of Picacho Peak rising out of the desert on the horizon...very dramatic, like the mythological Phoenix.
A very interesting landscape to explore. ♡

 
At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

love
the top pic

on your way to
a close encounter
of the third (phos) kind

nothing like a get-together with relatives!

/t.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ooh, ostrich is tasty! You ever had ostrich sausage? Mmmmmmmmmm!

Oh, still waiting on that email addy sir! :)

P.S.: Missed U too!

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Becky said...

One of the last battles of the civil war in Tucson, I never heard that before. Cool, I learned something new. Now I have to go to wikipedia and read all about it. I'm such a history dork!

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Becky said...

Wikipedia says that the battle of picacho pass was in 1862... 3 years before the end of the civil war. Hmmmmm.....

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger Helene said...

I think you did a great job with the photos as is! I can imagine that its like a kid in a candy store though... so close but so far! lol

Safe travels!

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger darkfoam said...

well, at least you can explore the sites through the windows ..
and those sites have been around forever..
the phos grandchild stays little for such a short amount of time.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Jack K. said...

Great mountain photos. I know the feeling well. The times we travel, the best shots are when I am driving. What a bummer. Someday, I will just have to take time to stop and get the shot just right.

You probably saw my recent shots of the Franklin Mountains in El Paso. They are quite beautiful in all seasons.

Enjoy the grandson. He will keep you young.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Those are nice pictures.

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Ruela said...

Like it v. much 1st pic!

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Ruela said...

Are you run to the hills? ;)

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger The Java Junkie said...

Phos, the ostrich ranch is a HOOT!

Do you belong to the American Legion?

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger wallycrawler said...

I gotta get me there some time. It looks great and at this time of year it couldn't be better for my blahhhs....

Your a lucky guy Kid!

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

Maybe you could all go on a little road trip sometime? RVs are fun!

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger dianne said...

Hi Phossy dear, just popped over to say Hi! ♡

 

Post a Comment

<< Home