Sunday, October 19, 2008

It was like that when we got there!!

When my brother and I were kids our folks would drop us off at the zoo for the day form time to time. We had a favorite animal in each area so we'd have to visit them and usually taunt them. Back in the good old days you could toss marshmallows to the monkeys on Monkey Island, feed the birds some of your popcorn, and toss stuff to the bears. Once we saw a dude with an entire box of ice cream sandwiches tossing them to the black bears so they'd do some tricks. Now one marshmallow toss could cost you $500 because "the man" doesn't let you feed the animals. Needless to say, being kids, we would taunt some of the animals. It was fun to see Samson the gorilla slam his fists against the glass of his cage, and see how many times you could get the Emu to smash its head into the glass cage by pretending to peck at it with your hand.

I bring this up because last night on the news we saw that one of the Polar Bears was out of its enclosure and lying in the moat below. He's ok, just wanted to climb down there for some mysterious Polar bear reason. Mrs. Phos instantly accused my brother and I of having something to do with it, since we did pay a visit to the zoo, but I swear this time it wasn't us!!



Polar Bears at the Zoo



Vultures for Little Lamb

8 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Ok, now I see why I keep seeing vultures. It's because you taunted them in younger years so they taunt me and I tell you about it.

Now I understand.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger G3T Films said...

Hitch-hiking back from the ski fields one year I was shadowed by an amorous Emu for about 6 clicks.

You should count yourself lucky there was glass in the way. No-one should have to defend their honour against an Emu.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger sparringK9 said...

i think you should be looking over your shoulder for vultures after tormenting that emu. big birds are bad asses.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

A bird with the brain the size of a chickpea doesn't worry me, besides I hear they taste pretty good. Lot of meat on one of those Emus!!

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger G3T Films said...

The problem of a bird with a brain the size of a chickpea is that they never understand, "please, I am not a female Emu, stop, stop trying to violate me!".

But yes, they taste superb. Like a gamey chicken. Not as good as Kangaroo though.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

As kids I always liked the zoo. I remember being pecked by a peacock once.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I abhor zoos. They make me so terribly sad.
That poor polar bear. YOU DID IT! ;)

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Unfortunately zoos may be the last hope for some species, Polar Bear included. Never encountered any amorous Emus, but did come across a Holstein Bull that wasn't too happy having me crossing it's field. Fortunately I was hunting and had Mr. Shotgun with me and just pointing it in his general direction made him back off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home