Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Blue Streak


My brother was kind enough to hook me up with a bike before I left, hoping it would help my mobility, or lack there of, and though too kind to say anything probably work on the slight weight problem I have. Of course all the eating and many, many Lienie's Oktoberfest beers we drank were definitely a step in the wrong direction and will undoubtedly keep me out of this months issue of "Healthy Living" magazine.

At any rate I took the Blue Streak for its maiden voyage this morning - not very far mind you as I didn't want to have to wait long for an ambulance in case my extraordinarily rusty bike riding skills took their toll. Of course I wore the helmet and way cool riding gloves my brother gave me, because I know chicks really dig that look. Ok, I'm lying, I wore them in case I took a big sprawler - in retorspect I should have asked my brother about knee pads and body armor too; I'm trying to limit any potential road rash to a small area...

Plan is to load The Blue Streak up into Li'l Willie, my Honda Element, and take it out to ride on the base in the wee hours of the morning. Why so early? Less traffic, it's cooler, and slim chance of anyone seeing me testing the pavement for durability if I fall off. As I and my knees get used to the bike I am hoping to use it during the winter to go between the squadrons, but for now, baby steps...

A big thanks to my brother for the bike and his patience giving technical pointers over the phone as my son reassembled it, and thanks to my son for putting the creature together for me...

Brookfield Cycle & Fitness

2205 N Calhoun Rd
Brookfield, WI 53005 Map

  • (262) 784-3151

12 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Chickie said...

The last time I tried to ride a bike I turned turtle. Good luck to you.

Go, Speed Racer!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Jack K. said...

Good luck.

That is one mighty fine looking mode of transportation.

Nothing ostentatious.

Very practical.

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool

i have a
blue streak
that is sometimes
ridden around the hood, too

good luck with it

/t.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Once you know how to ride a bike you never forget, so I hear. Have fun and be careful.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

I always enjoy bicycling. There's a 42-mile trail not far from my house. It's nice to get out of the city here and there. :)

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger darkfoam said...

very cool looking bike..!!
i'm sure you will be riding miles and miles in no time..
those oktoberfest beers won't stand a chance..

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger jin said...

OMG I'd KILL to get a photo of you on that bike with the helmet & body armour!
;-D

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! What Jin said! LOL!

how're the sit bones feeling? I think I lost too much weight this summer, 'cause any bikeride has been killing my keester!
I walk bow-legged a full day after using it. lol!

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger The Java Junkie said...

That is one sweet ride, Phos! (Helpful hint - Gel seat!!!)

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Bobby said...

You could get some baskets. The saddlebag kind on your back wheel. That'd be sweet.

 
At 3:43 AM, Blogger dianne said...

Good luck with that Phos dear, nice way to exercise in the cool of the morning just dont overdo it at
first and make sure the seat is comfy. :) ♥ xoxox

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Day 2 and so far no road rash. I went a little farther this morning, figuring on working my way up slowly. So far my knees aren't bothering me and I feel more awake the rest of the day, so I have that going for me, which is nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home