Sunday, October 05, 2008

A Most Gracious Hostess

I couldn't go on yakking about my vacation without mentioning my meeting with one of the most incredible people I have ever come across, and I have come across many incredible people. My brother was kind enough to schlep me all the way up to Manitowoc, WI to what first appears to be a fairly typical residence - till you note a sign out front...







Though the sign said "closed" I rang the bell anyway and was greeted by Jin. She wasn't taking any chances - was this some grizzled old bum trying to make off with some "free samples?" Fortunately she found out it was only Phos and brother o' Phos (we even passed the Brioche test) and we got a much warmer reception plus a "Baker's Tour" of the Unique Bakery.





I have to say at this point that I always thought Jin was amazing, but after seeing the size of her bakery, realizing she is the only one doing the creating and baking I am truly in awe. How can so many beautiful creations come out of such a small space, so perfect, so quickly, and all done by one person??






We had a great visit, she actually knew we were coming and had baked some most excellent cookies and muffins. She trotted out some of Jewel's handiwork, some of the most amazing bead work I have ever seen, and then off to lunch. The sandwich shop was guarded by a husky (didn't think I'd miss a chance to include a dog picture did you?) and much chatting ensued.







I want to thank her for a wonderful visit and let her know I stand in awe of her amazing accomplishments. Even after all her gracious hospitality she fixed my brother and I up with a basket of goodies to take home, demonstrating once again what a big-hearted giving person she is. Thank you Jin! Please visit her bakery and if you are fixing to finally make that big commitment to the love of your life, or just have a sweet tooth consider her bakery for the job - you will not be disappointed, believe me.

So thanks to my most excellent brother for hauling me up there and thanks to Jin for and Incredible visit!!

14 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jin
is wise
to brandish
that baseball bat
when meeting the phos crew
for the very first time, methinks...

and happy to hear all worked out well for you both

( <3 to the jin )

/t.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger The Java Junkie said...

Looks like you had a sweet time, Phos! What kind of cookies did you score????

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger diana said...

wow ..
i just might be jealous of the both of you...
you got to meet her..
she got to meet you ..

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Ruela said...

the BAT THE BAT the batttttttttttttttttttttttt




Cool jin ;)

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger jin said...

Awww.... Phos!
You are too sweet!
:-D :-D :-D
I'm blushing from all the praise & awe. I just live one day at a time like everyone else & I simply found my niche very early on.

That photo of the Chinese Almond Cookies is sublime!!!

@ /t. Right back at ya!! ;-)

Re the bat: Haahahaaa... Phos wasn't inside the shoppe 2 minutes before he said, "Get 'The Bat'!!! I want to see 'The Bat'!!!" I tried to pose looking mean but those two guys were making me laugh too hard!

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Pat said...

YAY! I'm so glad Phos got shots of the shoppe! Inside and out, too! I wanted to when I visited, but since I hadn't ever seen any on your blog Jin, I was afraid to ask. Thought maybe you didn't want any fotos, for some reason. I'm glad Phos wasn't as inhibited as I was!

LOL - those are THE sinks I was bobbing around in when I did the dishes!

And yes, folks - it's entirely true. Jin produces her miracles in incredibly tiny and cramped quarters, and all by herself! Awesome - truly awesome! Thanks again Phos! Right on!

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

/t.: I hadn't shaved in a bit, was dressed like a hobo, so yes, it was wise of her to bring out the dog and the bat.

JJ: Got some Chinese almond cookies and some Ranger cookies. Most delicious! Of course everything she makes comes out terrific.

**OO**: It was both and honor and a pleasure to meet such a wonderful lady. I highly recommend dropping n for a visit if you make it to WI, well worth the trip to talk with her in person.

R-Man: I was impressed, she went old school and uses a wood bat. I don't respect anyone that uses one of those aluminum bats.

Jin: Believe me the pleasure was all mine. You are so charming.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

EC:I wasn't as nice as you. I used to be a dishwasher and figured I've done enough. Having met her I wish I could run up there and help tote flour or whatever to help out. All I am good at baking is bricks.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I wouldn't mind guarding that place myself but then by the time I am done there wouldn't have been much to guard ... yummmmmmm.

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

sj: Huskies are the same way - very food driven!

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

It looks like you had a good time.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

ll: I did indeed. Who wouldn't have a good time in a bakery?

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

wow Phoso had a whopping time! Good to know :)

Keshi.

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger dianne said...

Glad you had a great time there Phos and yes Jin is amazing I've been to her blog, the goodies she bakes are incredible; she is one clever cookie, no pun intended. ♥ xoxox :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home