Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mute and Not So Mute



















The not so mute part:

When I read I tend to juggle books a bit, switching from one to the next. I am reading one behind the scenes look at the birth of our Constitution derived from James Madison's copious notes and another, a distilled version of Ralph Waldo Emerson's Essays. Both interesting books, but the Emerson essays on Self-Reliance are truly riveting. He does speak of god, but not as a being, but an abstract concept that holds every particle of the universe together, interconnecting those particles in a Universal Soul of which we are part. He inspires one to look inside him or herself to find the truth, to find their way in the world. The editor of the book compared it to several radio stations playing at the same time and a person tuning in just one, going beyond the static of every day life to find the god within. Emerson was very Buddhist like in his thoughts. In fact he wrote an essay on transcendentalism and recommended periods of silent thought to allow the true voice to come out. I have a long ways to go through these abridged essays, but I feel very inspired so far. He likened life to a river that has obstacles on one side and clear sailing on the other. It is up to us to recognize our particular talents and allow then to guide us through the unobstructed part of the river.

Sad but I remember banging my head against the desk in high school trying to induce unconsciousness to make the lessons on Emerson stop, but now have a very different point of view and find in them answers to questions that have plagued me for some time. The interconnection between everything in the universe, including myself and my fellow man is something that I have long thought about and these essays are bringing it all into sharp focus. The title of the book is "Self-Reliance: The Wisdom of Ralph Waldo Emerson as Inspiration for Daily Living," edited by Richard Whelan.

16 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

You're a dog person. I'm a cat person.

Nice pictures.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Jack K. said...

If you haven't read it yet, read "A new earth". It gives a view similar to Emersons, I believe.

Nice photos. I'm a cat person too, but dogs are also special.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger h said...

Dogs! Dawgs! Doggz! Happy Mute Momday. I want a dog.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger The Java Junkie said...

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear - isn't our universe splendid?

The dogs are all dashing - I particularly like the tawny fellow sticking his tongue out for the camera! Happy MM!

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

LL: The huskies are also fond of cats, very fond...

JK: I need to pick up a copy

Troll: Happy MM! There are lots of dogs at the shelter looking for a forever home.

JJ: Very profound. The pup giving the raspberries is our grandpup Sharai

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger G3T Films said...

I'm a gigamonster type person, but dogs and cats are fun to eat.

Oh, and you could skip all that reading and replace it with Song of Myself by Walt W.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger dianne said...

Lovely doggies Phos, I like dogs too but like Lil Lambie I'm a cat person also, I have three very well cared for and loved little Kitties. :) xoxo

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like both the mute and the not-so-mute parts.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger ..................... said...

both books sound very interesting ..
i'm a cat person ..
but don't tell my dog.
i have her convinced that i'm a dog person..

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Ruela said...

I'm a dog person to,
hate cats...don't tell to foam ;)

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

I llke the big cats, especially Cloud Leopards, but house cats are husky fodder around here. The husky rescue site even warns you never leave your husky alone with a cat.

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Chickie said...

Ah, I love the doggies. I think Strella's my favorite. I like her ears.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger sparringK9 said...

when i die, i want to come back as one of your dogs.
happy MM on wednesday

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Pat said...

Yes!

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Dino said...

those are some cute pups

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." (R. W. Emerson)



BTW

I like Your not so mute part!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home