Friday, September 12, 2008

Why I am Who I am

The following is long and boring, not meant as an apology, but as a benchmark for those who may not know me. If interested, please read on, if not please skip to the post below and look at the dust storm pictures.

The Phosgene Kid

People change over time and I am no exception. Especially when it comes to things that affect me directly. Where I came from and the way I was raised left an indelible imprint, but my journey through life has changed me significantly. The time in the Air Force has had the most impact on the way I view the world. This may come out in some of my Blogs from time to time. I have mellowed somewhat since retiring from the military, certainly lost any physical conditioning, but beneath the overage overweight body still lurks a warrior spirit. I miss being in the military a lot, which may be the root cause of the depression I suffer. This too may come out in some of my posts.

I have a fierce pride in my country, though not in the government. To be sure there are worse systems but ours has become focused on power and money and no longer represents the ideas I have found in reading about Addams, Jefferson, and some of our other founding fathers. The quest for wealth, power, and privilege amongst the political class and their cronies has tainted the American ideal to the point where it is barely recognizable, and this saddens me to a great degree. Smaller parties are left out by the media because they don’t have the millions of dollars to buy coverage. The Libertarian party and Constitutional party come to mind almost immediately – parties that threaten big government and the tax fattened hyenas in Washington.

I have also lost faith in any religion or supreme being and truly believe we are on our own. I have this one life to live – it is not a dress rehearsal for some great beyond. Looking up at an empty sky and wishing for things is like waiting for father christmas to drop off a sack of toys. It makes for a great story but has no substance. That being said I do not resent those who have faith nor begrudge them their religious beliefs. People should be allowed the freedom to believe as they wish and practice those beliefs so long as they do not force them on others or cause harm in the name of their god. I do admire Buddha, having discovered him through Kerouac and Ferlinghetti. Not as a god, but as an individual who came to understand what life is about, primarily taking care of one another and doing no harm to our fellow man. This does leave me conflicted harking back to my military past, but I try hard to do no harm and to be a helpful person.

My sense of humor gets me into trouble from time to time. I don’t pull many practical jokes anymore, but the sarcasm is still there, so if I appear snarky at times I come by it honestly. I use this twisted sense of humor in dealing with stressful or personally devastating situations. That is where I usually wind up misunderstood – it is just my way of coping. The downside is it is hard for some to know when I am being serious or flippant.


18 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger Jack K. said...

I sensed that you might be a kindred spirit. I always enjoy your postings.

You might find some interest in the book, "A New Earth" by Eckhardt Tolle. His view on spirituality is right on target as far as I am concerned.

If you have the time and inclination, I commend it to you.

I am pleased to count you among my cyber-friends. Next time you stop by, sign up as a "follower" if you choose.

In the meantime, continue to...
serve with integrity, care about those you serve and share the love in your heart/soul.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger darkfoam said...

i've always enjoyed your dry sarcasm, phos. and i share many of your views apparently.
thanks for sharing .. :) and xo

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Thanks for opening up. We never see the person behind the computer very often. Sometimes they do come out, sometimes they stay hidden.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

JK: I will check out the book, thanks for the recommendation. I am reading "A Brilliant Solution: Inventing the American Constitution" by Berkin right now. Very interesting behind the scenes look at the creation of the Constitution and the thoughts that went into the document.

Foam: Thanks. Do me a favor and stick around. The Blogsphere would be an emptier place without you.

LL: Just trying to help everyone understand where I am coming from.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

Thank you for the formal introduction. A lot of this does come through in your posts :)

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The only thing that would drop out on someone looking up at the sky is a passing bird's shit. Looks like we do share a few viewpoints.

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger dianne said...

Thanks for sharing that with us Phos and I too share many of your views. I believe we should take care of one another, do no harm and be true to the basic ideal of being the best person we can be. :) xoxox

 
At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

please
don't share
anything more

//dry humor//

/t.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Just be happy I didn't include a picture - that'd be your nightmares for the rest of the week...

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger jin said...

I luv ya just as you are phossie and your comments are always welcome at my blogs!!!
:-D
*cyber hugs*

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger How do we know said...

No surprises here Phos.. all of this comes out in your posts, and thanks for writing this out so well..

I too agree with lots of your views. Our countries are different, but the rot is the same, so there is a point of concurrence.

Please share some more of that dry hunour here. I get into trouble for exactly the same reasons... you cannot imagine what a relief it is to bump into someone else who knows what one is talking about!

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger How do we know said...

No surprises here Phos.. all of this comes out in your posts, and thanks for writing this out so well..

I too agree with lots of your views. Our countries are different, but the rot is the same, so there is a point of concurrence.

Please share some more of that dry hunour here. I get into trouble for exactly the same reasons... you cannot imagine what a relief it is to bump into someone else who knows what one is talking about!

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

very good statement Phos. tnx!

btw, your sense of humor is really cool!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger dianne said...

Yes Phos, dont ever change, I think you are great and you are always welcome to come visit me. :) Hugs!

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger The Java Junkie said...

We like it here, Phos. :)

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Pat said...

I agree with java junkie, and all the rest: we come here 'cuz we like it here. So shaddup already and keep it coming!

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Pat said...

Oh. Wait. If you shaddup, you can't exactly keep it coming, can you? Aw shit - you know what I meant! (^_^)

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Ruela said...

agree with foam Phos
I'm with you man
I have the same vision


be cool

 

Post a Comment

<< Home