Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Playing With Toys


I have a bit of fascination with picture taking, especially with unusual cameras. Amongst these are some toy cameras I have collected. The latest, a MEIKAI 4353SSN (Taiwan) was a Goodwill (thrift shop) find I scored for $2.50. I have been taking pictures with it for a couple of weeks now and I am pretty impressed. The camera is plastic, from the body to the lens and only allows minimal adjustments to account for light levels, but still takes a pretty mean picture. Even the one of Cashew below, though soft, was taken without a flash - that ain't too shabby. I thought I would share a couple of the pictures with you, taken during the past couple of storms, and though scanned into photoshop I didn't do any retouching...




13 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

I like ur new toy! ;-)

great pics!

Keshi.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I like those pictures.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger ..................... said...

it has a 'soft' touch, eh?

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Not too bad for an old school 35mm camera!

 
At 2:16 AM, Blogger How do we know said...

wow! those pictures really are swell.

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Jack K. said...

Great photos. It is amazing what you can do with old cameras.

I don't see many film cameras any more. I did take a photo for a chap on our river cruise in France with his film camera. I almost forgot how to do it. lol

Thanks for sharing.

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is a
certain charm
to these overly-soft
and grainy b&w shots of yours

the trick might be in finding 'the' subject matter -- something that is best viewed or even enhanced by these qualities -- it might be palm trees... or...

cool pics

/t.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger TK Kerouac said...

Very Cool, I could kiss your dogs nose,
easily.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Thanks all! It takes me back to when I was a kid with my Kodak brownie junior. I wish I would have kept the thing now!!

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Aunty Belle said...

heh ain't too shabby indeed. Pretty amazin'. Cashew? A yella dawg?
Hilarious.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

ab: She is a hound doggie of the first degree!

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger krisan said...

i just got this same camera today, really looking forward to using it! glad you made this post!

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger peakfall1188 said...

Hey man, I got one of those Meikai's when I was about seven years old at a garage sale in my neighborhood for roughly the same price. I recently re-discovered it while cleaning. I had retired it because, while being young and stupid, I misplaced the direction and when I attempted to figure out how to properly work it, I ended up ripping film. I also can figure out the conversion chart on the back so I've been using the symbols on the lense for my adjustments. Is there anyway you could explain this chart to me?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home