Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Time Warp

Long Fourth - I am just now able to collect my wits enough to write anything. Had a great time, a nice visit with my daughter, her husband and our grandpuppy. Tried an experiment with the ribs I grilled which worked out quite well. Some folks put a rub on the brisket, wrap it in foil and then toss the whole package on the grill. They let it go for the first couple of hours in the foil on low heat (about 250F). I did the same with the ribs, then opened them for the second hour and tossed some hickory on for smoke. Leaving them in the foil ensured that they were very juicy and the meat would come off the bone with little effort. I was pretty happy with the results. I made some BBQ sauce to go with them, which turned out a bit salty, unfortunately. I usually don't use sauce on the ribs allowing the meat, rub and smoke to provide the flavor, but I had a special request. The secret to the sauce was a generous shot of Jack Daniels, but next time I back off the kosher salt a bit.

Sorry to have been out of touch for so long, but thee isn't much I can do about it now. Hope everyone is doing well - I need to peruse your Blogs and see what I have missed.

Sharai cooling off with some 4th of July "Frosty Paws" ice cream

13 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

WB Phoso!

U sound like a terrific BBQer...wud love to taste those ribs! :)


Cute dog pic! Glad u had a good time with family.


Keshi.

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Is this what communists refer to as an Imperialist American Dog?

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

keshi: come on over, I'd be happy to grill for you!

SJ: Scroungy Rock-crapping Coyote, actually. She is a love though!!

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Jack K. said...

Glad your fourth turned out so fine. Yeah, I hate it when there is too much salt.

We were in Rudesheim, Germany on the fourth, and took a river boat ride from Rudesheim to Boppart and back. Got some great photos of castles along the Rhine. They will be posted on my site when I can get them all together.

Thanks for your kind comments about Hazel. We are up early again this AM and were whispering so we wouldn't wake her. We finally realized, oops, we can talk in a normal tone now.

Take care.

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

The ribs sound good.

 
At 3:39 AM, Blogger darkfoam said...

the ribs do sounds good ..
don't worry about being absent ..
family time is important..

 
At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ribs

we're getting
a tony roma's here
that is scheduled to be completed at the end of august -- i'll be eating ribs on the 1st of september...

EVEN BETTER THAN LAMB!

/t.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger leelee said...

yum!

this are slow in summer aren't they?

Sounds like you are enjoying yours.

HUGS!!

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

JK: I was in Rudesheim as well, but Bacara remains my favorite Rhine town. My father got some great shots of the castles as well, we have one hanging in our bedroom. I miss Germany. I was stationed at Ramstein for three years and hated to leave. . The Rhine cruise is great. A short foray into France can get you to Strasbourg, a great city, gorgeous cathedral!!

ll: You're just happy because they were pork, not lamb!!

foam: Family is great but I miss my friends.

/t.: Tony Romas used to be pretty good, but the last time I went their ribs sucked. I might not have been the only one that thought so as the last time I went by the place it was now an IHOP. Don't mean to rain on your parade, maybe the Canadian one will be better. Just hope they don't serve Moose ribs.

LeeLee: The livin' is easy!!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Cherry! said...

Haven't missed much at mine Phos. Haven't posted! Will try to tomorrow!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

I'm glad you had a nice holiday. :)

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Lt. Colonel Maximum Damage said...

the dog at my house has the same bandana. target, right? poor schmuck. i am pro bbq ribs though so its a draw.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

cherry: Looking forward to seeing what you have been up to!

indigo: Thanks! Sounds as thuogh you had a nice vacation, despite the drive.

MDC: Kind of tough to make a unique variation of the American Flag, but it gives her the 4th o' July spirit. Ribs are one of my favorites as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home