Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Great Weekend

Got to visit the grandpuppy, always fun. She is such a good girl and really loves grandma. She gets really wound up when she spots Mrs. Phos.

Aside form puppy antics we got to see Li Li's market, no relation ot LeeLee as far as I know. It is a quasi-cultural market with foods from all over the world, mostly Asia, but there was a Mexican Aisle and a Dutch Aisle. Not quite sure how the Dutch got involved unless it was through their adventurism in SE Asia in the early days. The market featured tanks of live fish, tubs of live crabs and an amazing produce section (what the hell is that thing??). I walked in tot he store and was completely overawed - couldn't figure out where to turn first! We have a branch of that market near us so I am anxious to check that out. I don't want to drive to hell and gone across town to buy a couple of stalks of lemon grass. I did bring back some ginger - couldn't resist it was so fresh, a fire ring for my big wok, some Schezwan peppers, and some Dutch licorice.

In fact in answer to Indigos 6 random facts meme:

I have a passion for Dutch licorice, the Zacte Zote Drope (forgive the spelling). I'd worked with a Dutch Major and he got me hooked

I think the Queen of the Netherlands is hot , I have a picture of her hanging in the computer room

I believe our form of democracy is a failed experiment and needs to be reinvented

I think it is time for us to pull out of Europe, Asia (especially Korea), the middle East and elsewhere to concentrate our own problems and let the countries in those regions deal with their own. I do not believe in isolationism, just that countries need to be responsible for their own problems. We seem to be quicker to respond to Typhoons overseas than we do disasters in our own country.

I anger quickly

Nothing anyone hasn't heard before, I suppose but there you are.

Fish with Heads at Li Li's Market




The Grandpup Taking a Well Deserved Break


14 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger Jack K. said...

What a sweet grandpup. I can see why it is love at first sight. And, that from a cat guy.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Chickie said...

Don't let the fish see the post below. No need to depress them.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

JK: Thanks. She is a real lover, always ready to have someone pet her...

chickie: Good advice, tense fish don't taste as good...

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger darkfoam said...

i like how the fish organize themselves!
i think we need to be out of a lotta places too.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Those are nice pictures. And the fish still have their heads.

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice
dog head

/t.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger G3T Films said...

That's a reeeeeeally cute pup!

I'm a 'dubbel zout' sort of dutchman. Intense but oh, oh, so good.

I can't believe you would say that about Queen Beatrix. She is not a fish head in a market to be ogled, She is a lady... and I prefer the future queen of Denmark.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger leelee said...

Li Li's Market


What a fabulous name..of course its fun and ecclectic. Asian Mexican and Dutch...Love it.

This leelee is Italian, Swedish and English..married to a Cuban..

"Mismo International"

Thanks for the holla!!

HUGS!!

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger Indigo said...

I agree with you on democracy: it needs some work. I'd add in the ability to do a voter recall on an incompetent president/senator/governor, etc.

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Carol said...

I like the fish WITH their bodies much better...

Agreed on your points about our democracy and getting ourselves out of other countries.

What's the difference between Dutch licorice and American?

Sweet-looking grandpup you have there!

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Pink said...

I anger easily too...it has something to do with MENOPAUSE GODDAMMIT!!!

whew.

glad to get that out of my system

FOR NOW!

I agree with /t - nice dog head :) and I like the fish heads when they're attached to the rest of the fishy.
xx
pinks

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger How do we know said...

i like fish with their heads on :-) just like ppl.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Fuff said...

Is the pup watching Desperate Houndwives?
Sorry.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Fish heads are quite tasty if prepared properly.

She is watching my cheese stick...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home