Friday, February 01, 2008

Time to Quit

The oldest woman to give birth is either a 63 year old lady from Southern California or a 67 year old woman in Romania depending on who you want to believe. They aren’t the only ones I found as I was looking for the record breaker. I have also known several couples choosing to have children at what I consider an older age, but anything beyond 45 is kind of iffy and 50+ is border line insane. Aside from the risk to the health of the baby and mom, there is life after the birth to consider. The birth itself is the easy part – taking into consideration the baby is using 60 year old plumbing he probably comes out like a dragster out of the chute. The tough part is going to be raising junior, and up until a while ago I had forgotten what it was like to try to keep up with a baby, even one who is well behaved.

Our grandson came to stay with us for a day, which was nice, however I soon learned how very out of shape I am. He is a good baby – I am not just saying that out of pride, he is a very happy child and very fast to boot. Though still experimenting with standing, he can scoot almost faster than a racing husky and I know this because both of our huskies had to really dash to keep out of reach. There are diaper changes, cleaning up, feeding, cleaning up, play time, nap time (maybe) changing diapers, cleaning up – you get the picture. If you are a parent you have been through all this – it has been some time for me so it was kind of a refresher course. Chasing the little guy around the house was a full time occupation. He was fascinated with the dog door, but we didn’t think he was ready for the wilds of our backyard or the possibility of tumbling into one of Yukon’s bottomless pits, so we had to had him off at the pass. The kitchen was also very interesting, he wanted to check it out in the worst way – perhaps the cooking gene is starting to manifest itself.

The point is, even if the baby is a “good baby” how is a 67 year old going to cope? We only had our boy for a few hours; she is going to have him 24/7/365. You have to wonder if she really thought things out before trying to break a record or is just grooming the kid to be the new motor for her wheel chair.

29 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

LOL hands full so to speak!

hmmm ... can it be the making of them that fascinates the 50+ olds ... to that degree ... that they need a receipt ... running around the house reminding of the experience?

Thanks for Your insightful comment!


Anna-Lys 50+

ha ha ha ha

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger darkfoam said...

67 years old? yikes ...
i can't imagine...
at that age why not just enjoy the process of making a child without making a child...

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Time to quit is right!!!

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

anna-lys
has it down :)

i wouldn't have
thought it possible at 67...

still, it's nice to see old folks with a hobby!

/t.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

anna-lys: At that point it would be best to just buy a puppy...

foam: At 67 you would think they'd just get into it and then forget what they were doing.

sj: Just stick to dry (and I do mean dry) runs.

/t.: There's always crocheting...

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Ruela said...

A 67-year-old Spanish woman gave birth to twins in December 2006, becoming the oldest known mother.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Sister Copinherhair said...

My son makes me tired just watching him sometimes and I am only 33! 67? Is she using her pension to save for college?

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger jin said...

Ewww... I can't comprehend having a child & I'm only HALF her age!!!

jin's don't have babies.

jin's have sex... just not babies.

ha!
;-P

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Pink said...

nonononononono

I plan to maybe be a grandma but not a mom. I'll marry into family.that way you can borrow a baby for a few hours and give it back. I don't like when they leak.

lol.

xx
pinks

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I don't have the patience for kids.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

ruela: Yeah, but Spain claims to invented the question mark too, so there's no telling. Anything beyond 45 boggles my mind - you have to wonder how the kid is going to be mentally...

du: She probably won't be around long enough to worry about it...


jin:Kind of like the fishermen who let eveything they catch go, half the fun is playing with the rod, eh?

pink: Leaking isn't bad, it is the large greenish fudge-dragon waiting in the depths of their diapers that gets me.

ll: Just lambs??

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Dino said...

i think anything over 45 is to old. My mom was 39 and is going onto 70 and it scares me that she won't be around to watch my children grow up

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

dak: I hope she does. Having grand children is a real kick!

 
At 3:13 AM, Blogger caramaena said...

My goodness, I'm 42 with a 5 year old and I'm tired now!

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Maybe just lambs.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

caramena: You're a lot younger than I am!

ll:unfortuantley eventually lambs turns to sheep...

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Yes, lambs do grow up. I think I'll stay a lamb, though.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

67 n giving birth? Gives me hope cos my man seems to be taking a long time to come into my life. LOL!

Keshi.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

ll: Good call

keshi: Hold off until 70 and you could be the record holder!!

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I agree with Keshi. It's taking a long time for a man, er ram to come into my life.

 
At 4:17 AM, Blogger ..................... said...

i have to say ...
i'm not missing the greenish fudge dragon ...

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

ll: Into each life a little ram must fall...

........... Odd how something can go into a baby a nice shade of off white and come out such a nauseating shade of green - and what's that smell!!!!

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger TK Kerouac said...

gorgeous grandchild,
scary story though, lets see the photo!

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger none said...

I watched my 1 year old neice for an afternoon and that little kid wore me out. I sure couldn't imagine doing it at twice my age.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Insanity, I get winded babysitting my nieces and nephews and I'm in my 20's! Then again maybe the baby is keeping them in shape.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

lolz how abt 90!

Keshi.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

I like little kids for short periods of time, but to keep up with one at this point would be impossible!

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

67? That is nuts. I know the miracle of life is wonderful and all but at some point you've just gotta use your brain.

LMAO @ like a dragster out of the chute.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger cathy said...

Nobody should have a child unless they are prepared to make that child's well-being their first concern. I think that it is just awful that these women don't consider what it is going to be like for their child having a mum older than other kids grandmothers. shame on them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home