Sunday, January 13, 2008

Passion

People need passion in their lives or they are not really living. We can be passionate about a person, a cause, an avocation, even our job. It is possible to be passionate about several things, and I have even known some who are passionate about life in general – that type of person is to be envied.

This devotion gives us purpose without which we are empty shells, just plodding along until whatever end comes, so it is important to find some higher purpose. The object of this focused energy can change over time as well, even vanish whether because of loss of interest or outside influeneces. There is also a dark side to passion when people become passionate about destructive or harmful things, such as the “one true god syndrome” where anyone believing anything else must be eliminated. That being said the most enjoyable part of this enthusiasm is sharing it with others, trying to ignite their interest, bring them along for the ride so they can feel the same excitement.

I am passionate about several things, my wife, huskies, and food. Lucky for me my other two passions enjoy the spin-off from my fascination with food – they dovetail nicely. I have always been a nuts and bolts kind of guy, I like to see how things work and try to replicate it myself so my actual interest in the techniques, the chemistry, and history behind different foods. What a particular people eat, how they prepare it, how they eat it, and why they eat the food they do can tell you a lot about a particular culture. I have tried to bring the wisdom of those other cultures into my cooking, and am eager to see and try more. This desire to explore further goes a long way in keeping the passion alive as does the favorable reviews from my other two passions.

So what are you passionate about??

Labels:

16 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Sitting down. I have too much stand up time.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Ruela said...

Art...

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lots
of things!

here are just a few
of the things i'm passionate about:

apathy, calm, calmness, indifference...

/t.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

ll: Please be seated

ruela: And it shows - I really like the B&W shots you have posted.

/t.: I forgot you were raised in a closet, sorry...

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a
closet?!?

yeah, i wish!

they didn't let me out of that foot locker unil i was 15...

/t.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

Nice one mate.

Im passionate abt music, writing and being myself.

Keshi.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Blogger ate my comment on your last post.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

/t.: You mean the footlocker where they sell sneakers?

keshi: And you do them all so well!! I love the Punjabi music a lot!

ll: I have heard of eating leg of lamb, but never eating comment of lamb..

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger leelee said...

Music, my husband and family..not necessarily in that order.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger none said...

I'm passionate about hmmm probably keeping my wife and kids healthy and happy. That in and of itself takes most of what I got.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger darkfoam said...

hmmm, i thought i left a comment yesterday. like little lamb said, maybe blogger ate it.
what am i passionate about? besides chocolate? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
oh yeah, my family..

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger cathy said...

I have many passions, good friends, good food and anything which demonstrates our appreciation of beauty, art music poetry. It takes my mind off the endemic stupidity,greed, and aggression which is responsible for our current sorry state.

( just popped over from pug's place to have a closer look at the folks I'm sharing his comment box with)

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger nanuk said...

Besides eating aged walrus meat and seal flipper pie (just kidding), I am passionate about fairness, level playing fields and equality.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger sparringK9 said...

i am passionate about art; individual freedom; the ability to define ones own destiny and the freedom to pursue goals; also passionate about the southern landscape, dogs, songbirds and painting. also very passionate about vintage BMW 6 series, all things mac,
great coffee; great tequila; cowboy boots; and mr. she.

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Ashish Soni said...

Passionate about fitness

I keep myself fit no matter how urgent other things are I m passionate about fitness.

I remember during my internship I told my boss without thinking twice that I want to leave office at 5 coz I want to go to gym and he started laughing but he appreciated my commitment and my passion for fitness.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

I'm passionate about nothing. Everything bores me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home