Sunday, October 28, 2007

'Tis the Season

Late Fall and Early winter used to be my favorite time of year, and perhaps still are to some degree – mostly the memories of autumns past. There is something about the scents, sight, and sound of a wood lot in Fall that is hard to explain to one who has never been in the forest. The feeling of awe and reverence inspired by the formal gathering of the trees, most naked their sleek lines and shining bark exposed, Some with leaves clinging tenuously to the branches, their colors faded by time, their mates litter the forest floor in a colorful fragrant carpet for chipmunk royalty to promenade in search of hickory nuts.

Sitting quietly, waiting in ambush for some unsuspecting buck, I hear the stirrings of mice in the dead dry leaves looking for acorns missed by the chattering plump squirrels. A noisy Jay perches above my spot braying its call as if to warn that all is not right in the woods on this crisp afternoon. A red squirrel scolds from a nearby branch as the drumming of the woodpeckers fills the woods.

It is a time of solitude and reflection, the chocolate bitten from the frozen bar in my pocket never tasted so rich, the dance of the trees fills my vision and my senses sharpen to take in even the diehard bugs flitting through the trees.

Far off shots echo through the moraines some hunter luckier than I, some deer not so lucky. I have seen a few does, but my hunt ends with no fatalities. That is ok, because I venture into the wood not to hunt for my food, but rather for the awakening and sense of humility the forest provides. Another Fall day well spent.



Note: My computer has an IFE so I will have some down time to effect some repairs. I will visit and post as I can. It shouldn't be too bad, just awaiting a replacement drive, video card, and a new Nic.




16 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep,
fall is
a gorgeous time
and woods a special place

i have a rather large buck that lives in my front yard -- have only to go to the window to find him -- it's great, except that he eats potted plants and craps everywhere -- i did post some pics at mo'po a while back, but will try to get some new ones (he's a lot bigger now)

well, hope you're back in action soon, but in the meantime, enjoy your autumn

/t.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

What a nice post. It reminds me of how fall should be.

I hate Florida.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Ruela said...

I love winter.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

/t.:My brother lives in the city and they are overrun with deer -even gets some wild turkeys from time to time. Feed that buck corn, he'll taste better later...

chickie: Thanks. I miss Wisconsin sometimes.

ruela: I don't mind winter but dislike snow, that is why I live in the desert now.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

Lovely Phos...I felt everything you said. I think I need to spend some time at the river in a wooded park nearby tomorrow. I'll take my camera :)

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger none said...

Some of my best memories are from hanging out in the woods. You described it well.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

mv: I'll look forward to seeing the pictures!

hammer: Thank you! No woods now...

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I agree with what Chickie said.

Except with the I hate Florida. I love the weather in winter in Florida.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

I've never been to Florida :(

Keshi.

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Ruela said...

I hate snow too.
love rain.

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Dino said...

very poetic. I love snow I don't get it here but I can't wait to go home and it better snow !!!!

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Is it sync'd yet? said...

Deer jerky...yumm....I just had some Elk jerky the other day. Not my cup of tea but it was ok.



Gnat.
.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger TK Kerouac said...

Thanks for taking me there,
the forest, wood lots, are enchanting.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger sparringK9 said...

that was some damn good nature writing. annie dillard would be proud....as would thoreau. its refreshing *always* to read a post that is very present in recounting a moment of acute awareness and appreciative of the beauties of life.

you wrote:
"Some with leaves clinging tenuously to the branches, their colors faded by time, their mates litter the forest floor in a colorful fragrant carpet for chipmunk royalty to promenade in search of hickory nuts."

kills! you didnt get a buck but you got me! thanks PhoKid

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger Ruela said...

Happy Halloween

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger How do we know said...

Fall, truly one of hte better seasons.. i love the nip in the air that has already started here.. how goes it there?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home