Monday, October 08, 2007

Lazy Monday

The Columbus Day weekend has been very nice so far. We had a wonderful visit from our daughter, her husband, and Sharai, our grandpuppy. Sharai has been added to the pack at Tiny House and all dogs get along well.

I had talked to my brother who had been up to Minocqua, WI for a run and also the Beef Festival. The culmination of the beef festival is the “Parade of Roasts.” A squad car slowly drives down the main street, and as it passes each business, the owner comes out with a beef roast he or she has been working on – soon there is a whole line of business people carrying roasts behind the squad car. The parade ends at the park where the roasts are all sliced and made into sandwiches for the hungry parade watchers. I got hungry just thinking about it, so ran out and bought a rump roast.

I had some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (canned), put them in a blender and made a puree. I salted the rump roast, smeared it with the chipotle puree and wrapped it in foil. The roast spent the night in the fridge and then spent three hours on a 200-degree grill with indirect heat. I let it rest a piece of tinfoil loosely wrapped around it for about fifteen minutes, then slices it with my electric knife. It came out pretty good. My apologies to you browsers out there…

Using the camera to sneak a peek at Mrs. Phos's tiles

We got into a heated game of Rummi cubes – I actually won once, you may have felt the resulting orbital wobble as this miracle occurred. We all went on a Wii hunt, my son-in-law wants one – Mrs. Phos (there’ll be no fun of any kind) won’t let me have one. Never did find a WII, but did wind up at the new Rio in El Mirage for some outstanding Mexican food. I had El Ocho, a red beef tamale and beef enchilada with beans and rice. I need a tamale fix once in awhile and this was just in time.

Lunch at the Rio

The most important part of the weekend was celebrating Sharai’s birthday. She has been part of our daughter’s family for a year. She is a great addition to the family!! Happy Birthday Sharai!!


Not quick enough - Sharai "enjoying" her birthday Twinkie


The Birthday Girl

23 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger Dino said...

awww look at the cute puppy.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Lazy days are the best. I remember that playing that game.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Ruela said...

relaxing day Phos, cool.
In the blink of an eye Sharai get
famous.
Happy Birthday Sharai.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

Happy birthday grand puppy!

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Sister Copinherhair said...

Mrs. Phos won't let you have a Wii? Why ever not?! Hee hee.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

I love being lazy :)

cute cute bday gal! awwwwwwwww.....


Keshi.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

You already have NUMBERS in Arizona? Well, that's a surprise now... :) just kidding. I always have to play this game with my sister! I think she's addicted :)

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

Can I joy you to this roast parade. Mmmmmmh, sounds great!

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger none said...

I have a can of chipotles I'm going a try that roast.

We used to do twinkies for the dogs birthday too. Small world.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

DAK: Thanks! All our grandpuppies are cute!!

ll: It was nice hanging out with the kids. We learned about that game in Germany and have been playing it ever since...

du: Mrs Phos is the original video game Nazi. She thinks they are a bad influence, though I suspect it is a little late to worry about that in my case.

keshi: Hi Keshi!! Hope you had a great weekend!!

DM: Numbers yes, yodeling,no. Any party with that much meat has to be good!!

hammer: Twinkies are pet safe, though humans are taking their chances...

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Fuff said...

Yum. Love the Twinkie thing for the dogs.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger jin said...

Awww.... the birthday girl is a CUTIE!!!
:-)

Speaking of twinkies...
I'm a stale one, eh?!!?
...annnd you wonder why I come after you with a bat! Harumph!
;-)

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

I did tnxx :)

Keshi.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

fuff: They seem to really love 'em too!

jin: I meant a nice twinkie...

keshi: Shop 'til you drop, eh??

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Rummikube is awesome, I haven't played it in forever, my other fave is boggle. Board games are great, it's been too long for me.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Is it sync'd yet? said...

MiniMolli and I play scrabble. She lets me when now and then.


Shoulder, one can of broth, salt&pepper, garlic, crock pot on low heat for 6 to 9 hours depending on how hot it gets in your pot.

When it comes apart with only a fork you good to go, break it all up and serve over rice. Keeps for ages....the meat is great onto of any bread product!


Gnat.
.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Is it sync'd yet? said...

Beef should, not your shoulder.


Gnat.
.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your description of that roast made my mouth water. Mmmmmmmmmm, I bet the smell coming from that grill was amazing!
Cute Grandpuppy! Happy Birthday Sharai

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

holidays
for any reason
are a good deal, eh?

even a day dedicated to a lost guy!

/t.

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I have a new post up.

I don't know what's gotten into me.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger TK Kerouac said...

That post made me hungry and I need to smooch with that doggies black nose.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Ruela said...

Mexican food has a good tast?

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

The Rio is the best. If it met Taco Bell, On the Border, and Macayo's in a dark ally it could kick all of their butts with one hand tied behind its back and still serve them fried ice cream.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home