Sunday, May 06, 2007

Cackleberries for Breakfast, Whistleberries for Lunch

I am making some chili for dinner. Every time I make this a song from my childhood comes back to haunt me, a song dedicated to the lowly whistle berry, or bean, as you might call it.


Beans, beans, the musical fruit,

The more you eat, the more you toot

The more you toot the better you feel

So have some beans with every meal.

Just thought I would share…



On a serious note, head over to Maydens. You may want to give the joke video a pass, but do check out the post on Candace - a baby that needs a lot of help. You can't help everyone, but you can do what you can.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

If I had a nickel for every time I heard my Dad sing that song...

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

chickie: I had to hear it from someone else's father, mine wasn't much of a humorist as I was growing up. Odd that I only heard it once and it stuck in my mind for good. I wish algebra had been like that!!

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger Kirsten N. Namskau said...

If you don't soak the beans over-night, but rather let them cook for longer time, you don't start tooting.
I let beans cook over low heat from the morning until I shall start dinner. About 6 - 8 hours. Or over night.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Is it sync'd yet? said...

I blame the beans at every turn.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

Hugs and thank you Phos :)

Hubby loves my chili- but I always end up paying dearly for making it!
:)

 
At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh,
an ode
to the lowly bean

i like 'em -- they don't like me

/t.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Kirsten: I hate to admit this but I used canned beans. I really don’t have any problem with them. If I buy canned chili, that is a different story.

gnat: I usually blame it on a change in altitude, like when I stand up.

mayden: Who ca resist that face – yours or the baby. I usually get the yen for Chili when the weather turns cold, but since it doesn’t really get all that cold here I have to make do.

/t. Take kirsten’s advice, soak ‘em over night… Then there’s stew, another cold weather comfort food.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home