Saturday, April 21, 2007

Dead Bees Smoke Lucky Strikes

There is a scourge that may be more calamitous then the Asteroid hitting Earth scenario. The Cursed tongue gives an excellent summary of the problem.


Another thing I got out of her article is something that I have noticed about the medical community – your disease ain’t shit if it doesn’t have a three letter acronym, such as “HAS” (Huge Ass Syndrome). Even diseases have to have designer labels nowadays. I wonder if the AMA had publicists working on the new designators?

I had the Maitre De at Coco’s, a chain eatery, ask me a question I haven’t heard in quite some time – did I want the smoking or non-smoking section? I was so stunned I had to ask her to repeat the question . “You allow smoking here?” "Yes, until May 1st”. I don’t know what is so magical about May first, but I wish it would hurry and get here so Coco’s can join the rest of us in the year 2007. The seating hostess led Mrs. Phos and I to our seats in the Non-smoking section, which of course had a half wall separating it from the smoking section. The wall wasn’t exactly a smoke proof barrier and it wasn’t long before my eyes were stinging. Look, if you want to smoke, go on ahead and kill yourself, but please don’t take me with you.

I watched Glenn Beck for the last time Thursday. He is a conservative radio talk show host that has migrated to TV with an hour spot on CNN every night. I was already starting to weary of him advertising TV shows and movies – I tuned in for news analysis not to find out what Simon was up to on American Idol. I was also appalled at the amount of time he gave Anna Nichole-Sluts demise and the circus that followed. The final straw, however, was him castigating the other networks for airing Cho Nutjob’s manifesto and then turning right around and playing the footage himself. The he accused the other networks of doing it just for the ratings – like he wasn’t.



Thanks to Wally Crawler for posting the Banana Splits theme!!

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

At 4:58 AM, Blogger caramaena said...

I'm so glad the no smoking in restaurants is all over the place here. I can't stand the smell when I'm eating.

/heading over to have a listen to the banana splits theme.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

carameana: I don't understand how folks can pay for a good meal and then ruing the taste with a coffin nail. Even worse they ruin my meal as well.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I hate the smell of smoke.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

LL: The smell seems to get into everything. Sometimes when the kids show up for school they reek of smoke. I can't help but wonder if my brother and I did as well - when we were kids as our parents were heavy smokers.

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate
the smell
of smoked bees

hey, i heard that honey bees are dying in droves -- scientists think it might be cell phone signals (presumably at or near the same frequency as bee 'radar') that is responsible for confusing the bees -- they can't find their way back to the hive, and they die

this would be kind of so what, who needs bees, but they actually are responsible for pollinating a high percentage of our food crops -- so, no bees, no food, people -- serious shit

/t.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Sister Copinherhair said...

May 1st is the magical day for Pittsburgh, as well. I can't wait. It's a filthy habit and people look stupid doing it.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger sparringK9 said...

hey PhoKid

now we know why we're short on bees! to what depths will big tobacco sink? and i thought China would be enough for them

glenn beck doesn not have a face for television. but then again neither does bill maher.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

/t>: Right you are, that was the whole gist of The Cursed Tongue’s article. You are also right about the consequences. Oddly enough the keepers use smoke to clear the bees from the hive so they can harvest the honey – if there are any bees, that is!
du: Can’t get anymore stupid then smoking – the tobacco companies promise they are going to kill you and you are paying them to do it.
she: ‘allo she! Thanks for visiting. The tobacco companies are evil incarnate, but actually Big Tobacco has reason to be concerned as bees pollinate their plants too - however, the tobacco we could do without.
It is almost as though Beck won a “So you want to host your own news show” contest. He doesn’t have the cred or the face.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

she: You back on the block? I didn't realize you were K9. I stopped by your site - are you posting again? I always enjoyed seeing what you were up too.

 
At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

right
you are, phos

i neglected to look
at the cursed tongue article

strange story -- scary

/t.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Chickie said...

I was so glad when smoking was banned in restaurants down here. Makes for a much better experience!

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

/t.: no worries. She has some great editorials!

chickie: Some places around here are even creating a smoke free zone around the entry...

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger tkkerouac said...

The smell of smoke makes me gag,
love the way you link posts.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Dino said...

i don't care about smoke smell I guess because I am so used to - Europe every one smoked and working in bars and restaurants it kind of goes with the territory. I like that the restaurant is nonsmoking but there are still a lot of second hand smoke I inhale anyhow

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

Thanks for the link. I’m honored.

And I don’t know why, but apparently it takes restaurants six months to prepare for the ban. Hence the May 1st date.

It’s not as if any of the restaurants are going to order curtains and silk flowers that don’t have that moldy, acrid smell of “Flavor Country.”

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

nobody likes the smell of smoke cos it can gag ya!

Keshi.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Thanks for stopping by all!! The main trouble with cigarettes is they don't kill fast enough

 

Post a Comment

<< Home