Monday, August 07, 2006

Batch 69.0


The temperature dipped below 100 the other day – perfect chili weather. Nothing like to a nice steaming bowl of spicy chili to get the 90 degree chill out!! I am experimenting with the recipe and this is the first shot. I will use the software world’s method of numbering each batch, such as 2.0. One software engineer advised me never buy software where the version ends in “point zero.” I am including the recipe anyway; you are welcome to try it for yourself. I will be adjusting it a bit in the near future.

I have already caught hell about the lack of beans. I am trying to follow the guidelines form a chili cook off I watched, that and making chili with beans in Texas is a capitol offence – I heard you go straight to the head of the line in fact. I did try to nullify the bitter from the chili and tomato with a bit of chocolate, but wound up adding some brown sugar. I slow cooked it in a crock pot, but a pan on the stove would work as well. Low and slow is the key.

2TBS Hot chili powder
1Tsp Ancho Chili powder
1Tsp Chipotle Chili powder
1Tsp Hot Paprika
1Tbs Onion Powder
1/2Tsp Celery Salt
1Tsp Minced Garlic
1/4Tsp Cumin
2Tbs Brown Sugar
1Tsp Milk Chocolate (optional)
1Lbs Tri-tip roast or Bottom Round finely cubed ( 1/8” cubes)
1 Cup Water

Place all ingredients in the pot, stir thoroughly to combine and simmer for at least two hours. Be aware I like spicy food and have lost the ability to tell when it has gotten to be a bit too much for the ladies.

Speaking about heating things up, here's some more on global warming...

11 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

LP11: I was kind of sticking to the recipe they were using for the contest. I used powdered seasonings because they tend to be a bit more intense and blend in to the texture of the chili. One of the rules in the cook-off was no filler, so hunks of onion are out of there. Fresh hot peppers would be great too. I have made chili with a mirepoix for a base substituting jalapeños for the carrots. Pretty much anything goes short of adding macaroni. With all the peppers in there you wouldn’t need to add broth for flavor, it’ll have plenty as is.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

This is the Spicy side of kiddo ha ;-) wow!

Well I luuuuurve spicy food and I eeven eat red chillies with rice sometimes...beat that!

Keshi.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

keshi: Raw Habaneras. Do you like curry?

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger jin said...

Impressive, phos! I do believe that I see a jar of Penzey's Chili Powder!

You do know that Penzey's originated in WI!?

They have AWESOME spices!

Can I use Tofurkey instead of the roast granphosther? :-D

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Becky said...

I love me some Chili!

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Dino said...

It took me about 7 years but I slowly come to like chili (in small doses). I did make a very spicy spagetti sauce the other day and we ended up making it into chili (just added some beans to it) which was awsome with some mash potatoes.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

JIN: I really like Penzey's and get a lot of my spices from them - they have a lot of hard to get spices at reasonable prices. I wish we had one on this side of town.
No need to put any meat/meat substitutes in the chili, just use beans - don’t try to serve it to any Texans though, you may wind up wearing it.

Becky: Come on over, I have plenty left!!

Katy: Different cultures put their stamp on some of the same dishes. I have a great Ragu recipe stolen from one of Frances Mayes books on Tuscany. I'll have to post it again.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

I luuuurve curry :)

Keshi.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Sugarfoot said...

Try dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate, roll your meat in half of your spices like a dry rub making sure that each piece is covered then sear them in a non-stick pan with a teaspoon of virgin olive oil. Sautee your garlic and use minced onions instead of powder. Pour your sauteed concoction into your seared beef, add water to make a thick broth and use this as your base to build the rest of your chili.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Keshi: I do too, especially Thai Green Curry!

SF: That sounds great, I will have to try your method.

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Pat said...

Thanks for the recipe Phos - I will definitely have to try it (but I'll be adding onions and peppers to mine, I'm afraid). I don't mind chili sans beans (actually prefer it if made with meat chunks rather than ground beef), but I'm the only one in the family that likes it this way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home