Wednesday, August 02, 2006

"Half Empty" Kind of Post


Run and Hide

I am reading an interesting book on global warming and its effects entitled the “Weather Makers.” Aside from the implications of the book itself, I started wondering how people could ignore the signs. I understand the politicians, driven by greed would ignore the signs, any action to stem the problem (though it may already be too late) would be money out of their pocket and that is not going to happen. Most ordinary people ignore it because it is an inconvenient and unpleasant topic, they tend to use the tried and true “head in the sand” approach.

I know of several people who have constructed their own happy place and live there on a permanent basis. This is fine, but it dulls them to the realities of the world around them. Typical amongst young children the “it can’t hurt me if I can’t see it” approach is a dangerous way to go through life, leaving one ill prepared when disaster strikes. The happy place people are in for a jarring experience when the happy place bubble bursts and they find themselves out on the cold, hard sidewalk, or in our case the hot, hard sidewalk.

Climactic change is the least of their immediate problems. Over population in the desert, failing housing markets, inflation, and rising crime rates are a few of the forces at work in our (and many other) areas and are beginning to have more impact on life. These factors will be the pins that pop the happy bubble. While the sky is not falling, yet, it is time to keep alert and anticipate changes for the worse, and take some pre-emptive measures. Arming oneself with knowledge as well as deterrents that are more physical in nature is becoming a necessity. Law enforcement and the political system are no longer protection from “bad things” and as the population in cities expand placing more pressure on already scarce resources as well as stretching police forces even thinner violence will spiral out of control.

Bottom line, wake up and smell the feces before you are ears deep in the stuff.

13 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Blogger Stranger said...

omg!!Thats a picture of my ex boyfriend!!! LOL!!!

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Cherry! said...

I prefer the 'head up my own ass' approach. That last line was powerful and highly amusing!

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Flora Pang said...

My comment will be a bit off topic. Nice to know that you are caring about global warming. I'm currently reading a light novel. I've just finished Angels & Demons by Dan Brown, and it was far from being a light summer reading. Although the book I'm reading is not so good, at least it's light. Light is good.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Flora Pang said...

stranger's comment is so funny!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Stranger: An ostrich-ass boyfriend? Now I know how you came by your Screen name. Thanks for dropping by!

Cherry!: Good tatic, you'll never see it coming - never die tense.

FP: Good for you! Keep reading. There are lots of light, yet delightful books out there. I usually have a couple books going at the same time - one fun fiction (I like Fantasy) and one serious.

LP11: Al Gore makes me want to burn old tires in my backyard. I might have to change the phrasing in my post... Interesting how we are coming up on elections and these dudes are squirming out from underneath their rocks. We have our own personal viper down here - dude named McCain.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with once your site is up. Nice to "see" you again!!

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

that indeed is a pic of my ex-bf too..lol tnxx for reminding me stranger!

Keshi.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Sugarfoot said...

Break is over people, back on your heads! (you'll get the feces reference if you've heard that joke before)

Gore is a looney toon from the git'-go. It wouldn't be so bad if his facts didn't contradict the real science provided by real scientists on both sides of the global warming debate.

Being an environmental geek myself, I find Gore's rhetoric barely amusing and mostly annoying.

I've been to other industrialized countries (not all of them) and can say first hand that air quality and other pollution control regulatory requirements are far less stringent in most places I've been to than those required here in the U.S. I'm not saying that we can't do a better job, however if you're looking at global warming problems and solutions, please look at the entire globe's contributions and stop condemning America. It pisses off thousands of environmental engineers like myself who are doing our part every day to protect the general public.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Sugarfoot said...

So, if you think we're not doing our job, then fuck off, go to school, get a degree and change the world yourself.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Becky said...

"I know of several people who have constructed their own happy place and live there on a permanent basis." That's me! I look at it like this, I'm going to be miserable if I don't live in my own happy place in my mind! It's much safer in my opinion, as I do fear change. At least I can admit my weakness.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Sugarfoot said...

Lifepath11 - I must apologize. My comments were directed into the world around me and not at any one person, especially you. I found your comments to be well-rounded and intelligent.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

PK, my hat off to you, sir. :-D

~~~zipping by

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Flora Pang said...

Fiction-reading-wise, I'm sooo old-fashioned. Drop by sometimes, kido~~~miss ya~

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Yikes! I ignore my Blog for a couple days and it is open warfare!! Glad you all made up. We all have to work at making this rock a better place, whether recycling or firing politicians that aren’t cutting the mustard - a tall order indeed.

Thanks to all for dropping by, I really enjoy hearing from you all!!! I am reading “Field Notes form a Catastrophe” by Elizabeth Kolbert and will write a review soon. This book is a real eye opener, yet offers some hope for the future. Thanks again to you all!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home