Monday, July 03, 2006

Happy Fourth!!!



A flag is awarded twice to a Vet. The first one when he or she retires, the second to his or her survivors. There is a ceremony that is performed at the retirement that never fails to bring tears to my eyes, the Flag Folding Ceremony. The Honor Guard folds the flag as the narrator reads a script telling what each fold means. I have included the first part of the script

Please have a great Fourth, and please never forget...





Flag Folding Ceremony
Air Force Script

For more than 200 years, the American flag has been the symbol of our nation’s unity, as well as a source of pride and inspiration for millions of citizens.

Born on June 14, 1777, the Second Continental Congress determined that the flag of the United States be thirteen stripes, alternating between seven red and six white; and that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field representing a new constellation. (1)

Between 1777 and 1960, the shape and design of the flag evolved into the flag presented before you today. The 13 horizontal stripes represent the original 13 colonies, while the stars represent the 50 states of the Union. The colors of the flag are symbolic as well; red symbolizes hardiness and valor; white signifies purity and innocence; and blue represents vigilance, perseverance and justice. (1)

Traditionally, a symbol of liberty, the American flag has carried the message of freedom, and inspired Americans, both at home and abroad.


In 1814, Francis Scott Key was so moved at seeing the Stars and Stripes waving after the British shelling of Baltimore’s Fort McHenry that he wrote the words to The Star Spangled Banner. (3)

In 1892 the flag inspired Francis Bellamy to write the “Pledge of Allegiance,” our most famous flag salute and patriotic oath. (3)

In July 1969 the American flag was “flown” in space when Neil Armstrong planted it on the surface of the moon. (3)

Today, our flag flies on constellations of Air Force satellites that circle our globe, and on the fin flash of our aircraft in harms way in every corner of the world. Indeed, it flies in the heart of every Airman who serves our great Nation. The sun never sets on our US Air Force, nor on the flag we so proudly cherish. (3)

Since 1776 no generation of Americans has been spared the responsibility of defending freedom… Today’s Airmen remain committed to preserving the freedom that others won for us, for generations to come.

By displaying the flag, and giving it a distinctive fold we show respect to the flag, and express our gratitude to those individuals who fought, and continue to fight for freedom, at home and abroad. Since the dawn of the 20th century, Airmen have proudly flown the flag in every major conflict on lands and skies around the world. It is their responsibility…our responsibility…to continue to protect and preserve the rights, privileges and freedoms that we, as Americans, enjoy today.

The United States flag represents who we are. It stands for the freedom we

all share and the pride and patriotism we feel for our country. We cherish

its legacy, as a beacon of hope to one and all. Long may it wave.

10 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Sugarfoot said...

By the time I finished reading this posting, I had a lump in my throat.

If I've never told you before, I tell you now, THANK YOU Phos for your service, then and now.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Flora Pang said...

you like to write long posts, don't ya~

and i can see your passion for writing...

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

Happy 4th mate!

Keshi.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Cherry! said...

I know this is supposed to be serious but I can't stop laughing at the fabulous pictures!!! hahahaha!! You crack me up!!

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Pat said...

Thank you Phos for including the POW flag and the reminder to "never forget". I devoted 7 years of my life to bringing the truth of the POW issue to the American people. I'm glad Mrs. Phos has hidden your fireworks - folks like you need to be kept safe for the rest of us! Thank you for your service, and Happy 4th to you. Do let us know what you bar-b-que up, won't you?

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger nanuk said...

Hey Phosgene! and happy fourth of July.

It is difficult to understand someone else's patriotism if they are from another country, except from the context of how you feel about your own country. I know today is very important for you: so enjoy it and feel proud.

/give the mutts a pat from me

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

SF: Thanks!!

FP: It was long, but I did try to include pictures... thanks for stopping by, I enjoy your Blog as well.

Keshi: Thank you! Hope things are going well for you...

Cherry: I wasn't laughing when I was trying to get Blogger to upload my $%#^@&! Pictures, but I can look back and laugh now!

EC: Thanks! The fireworks are no big loss, the pups aren't too happy wiht the fireworks our nieghbors have. Strictly speaking I don't believe you are supposed to have them here, but boys'll be boys, as long as they burn down their house and not mine.

The POW/MIA probelm means a lot to me, thanks for all you have doen supporting the issue.

Nanuk: I am having a great 4th, thanks. I did give the pups a pat and then embarassed the hell out of them with the traditional embarrass the hell out of the dogs holiday pictures.

I think Canada is a great country too - been up there for visits in the Ontario, BC, Saskatchewan, and Quebec. Love the place, it is beautiful and the folks are nice. I enjoyed working with your Air Force as well (up at Cold Lake and while serving in NATO), they are some fine Airmen.

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Cherry! said...

I feel your pain!!! I just posted and had all these pics of HAWT Italian soccer players and it only uploaded one. I too, was swearing like a trooper. Actually, that's not too unusual for moi!! hahaha!

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Cherry: I found I had to go into Internet options and turn on the cookies to get the upload to work, don't know if that is what happend with you, as Blogger didn't allow me to upload any.

Must be a total party there with the Italians kicking soccer-ass over there.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Cherry! said...

Yeah it was AWESOME the other night! So much fun. I blogged about it. Check the latest post (unless you already have!!).

BTW everything on this pc is in Ital so I can't understand a thing!!! hahaha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home