Thursday, April 06, 2006

There are moments in almost everyone’s life that give him or her pause. I had one of those moments last night. I serve on a committee with my wife and about a dozen other people. I hadn’t seen one of the women that usually shows up and always makes a valuable contribution to our discussions. I found out that she had been very ill, even while sitting smiling and joking across from me in past meetings. I should have figured something was wrong when she had a bit of a spell outside while waiting for the door to be unlocked. She turned down the offer of a chair and I thought nothing more of it.

The pause came as I reflected on how strong this woman is, ignoring her illness to help others. Perhaps it is because of here calling, she is a minister, though she had to give up her ministry just recently. That is a great loss to that congregation; I am sure as she is an insightful, kind person. Here I grouse about day to day problems, sometimes allowing them to keep me from doing what needs to be done and she comes along as “Bontsha the Silent”, bearing her load without a word of complaint and still holding out a hand to those in need.

If anyone else on the committee knows what her illness is they aren’t talking so I don’t know if it is something she can beat or not. With her fortitude if it is beatable I suspect she will defeat the malady in the end. The world needs more caring concerned folks such as that pastor and we can ill afford to lose any that are with us. I hope her faith; her god sees fit to give her back some degree of health.

3 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

It sounds like her illness must be pretty serious for her to have given up her ministry. I hope that she is just taking time off to combat this illness (and defeat it) and will take up the reins of her ministry again.

As for your comment on grousing... this is your blog, a place for you to vent, to laugh, to create... to do whatever the heck you want. If you have to censor yourself in terms of whether the daily grind is appropriate or not, then blogging becomes a chore. After all, day-to-day problems do affect you, and the rest of us, too.

Writing about your perspective, and reading that of others' in their responses, can sometimes provide great insights and solutions, and thus alleviate your problems.

So. Carry on, sir!

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Mummified said...

That Tea is a very sensible girl. I hope your friend recovers. I hope her faith sustains her through this time.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Sarah Letnes said...

Yeah, we come for the laughs and stay for the ranting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home