Saturday, February 25, 2012

Life and times of a restaurant reviewer


Reviewing places to eat is kind of tough, I mean it all boils down to taste and as we know taste I is subjective. Even beyond one persons take on a type of food are the likes and dislike. For instance I hate meatloaf, beets, and lima beans. There are others, however, for whatever reason that really love those foods. Overcoming my prejudices is tough. The joint may have the world's best meatloaf, but I'd never know. To be honest I will eat the foods I mentioned, but would rather not. Anybody how has seen me in person knows I am not a finicky eater.

Then we get down to the finer point, my taste versus others. I like my food very spicy – the hotter the better. I could go into a restaurant and try their food and to me it would be rather bland, but to others it might be just right. The Red Robin restaurant for instance serves what they call an “Angry Burger” with pepperjack cheese and jalapenos. I tried one and found that while it was fine for all the little girls in the joint, there was nothing angry about it. If I pan the burger some readers would think I was crazy.

The final problem lies in the fact with limited resources (AKA money) and appetite I generally only sample one dish. In truth I may not have gotten the best thing on the menu, though I do try to ask for the dive's specialty. There is a small Mexican restaurant near here and I tried their taco rolls, which turned out to be deep fried pieces of crap. There specialty was Carne Asada, that may have been all right, one never knows.

The bottom line is to use reviews as a guideline and bear in mind that the reviewer may have some food prejudices, have different tastes, and has only sampled a bit of the restaurant's fare. Use several reviews to get a better idea but in the end one has to try it for him or herself to be sure.

6 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am leery
of eating at places
i've never eaten at before,
and i never rely on reviewer opinions

instead, i bring a canary with me and send it in first -- if it comes out ok, then i will enter and order whatever is cheapest or comes with something free -- my food is always tasted before i eat it -- for this i bring a lamb on a leash

bon appetit, phos

/t.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

/t., Probably the best way! I am with you -- it seems as though every time we try some where new we wind up getting burned.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I am not a lamb to be put on a leash!

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

ll: Fight for lamb rights!!

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger darkfoam said...

I love my food hot and spicy! I don't mind trying out new places. Of course sometimes one doesn't have choice.
My husband is in the food business, btw. It's the family business and they do BBQ and homemade ice cream. But I hint you do know that already. :)

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger dianne said...

A great article Phossy dear, yes food is subjective, I think that we should try new places and yes sometimes the meal will be disappointing.
Lol at /t. and Lambie.
xoxoxo ♡

 

Post a Comment

<< Home