Saturday, July 24, 2010

Strike one


Tried to wing it creating a low sodium version of Fettuccine Alfredo and I’m alfreado it didn’t come out to terribly well. I will have to do some research, but substituting olive oil for unsalted butter on the sauce recipe was definitely a mistake. I tried to up the ante with garlic and spices, the flavor still came out pretty bland.

One obstacle to overcome is our addiction to salt. According to what I have read so far, there is absolutely no reason to salt one’s food, there is more than enough sodium in food to meet the body’s needs already. It is more of a learned taste where salt has become one of the primary seasonings. Food without it just doesn’t seem as vibrant. The trick is to make the food pleasant without adding any salt.

There are salt substitutes, most of them Potassium based, but I understand these can be fairly bitter. One doesn’t want to fall down the salt substitute rabbit hole pursuing a salt substitute, as has happened with finding a sugar wannabe that doesn’t put the extra junk in the trunk. Therefore it will be important to find the best flavor combination and levels to negate the need for any additional seasoning. This means getting back into the books and a few more (hopefully better tasting) experiments.

Meanwhile, there are salads and dressings that have no added salt and come out quite nicely. The dressing I generally make is simply mustard, olive oil, and either lemon juice, lime juice, or red wine vinegar. Mix till emulsified and it is good to go. I’ll get it right sooner or later…

8 Comments:

At 9:33 PM, Blogger dianne said...

Just keep experimenting Phossy dear, you will come up with a recipe that has flavour.
I don't add salt to my food nor do I use it in cooking now, after a while you don't miss it ... it is so bad for your heart and arteries.
I use fresh ingredients and if I have to use cans I try to find a low salt alternative.
Happy cooking! :) xoxo ♥

 
At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

phos,

saltpeter is
not a good substitute

just saying

/t.

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Sister Copinherhair said...

If you absolutely must use salt, try just a tiny dash of sea salt. It's much better than table salt. I don't put butter or margarine on veggies, just a tiny dash of sea salt. And I mean tiny.

I immediately thought of adding parmesan to your dish but that has salt...

I'll be curious as to how you remedy this. Keep us updated.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Dino said...

good luck i am a salt addict i have tried the low sodium versions but it just doesn't taste right. i do like the sea salts

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Pink said...

hmmm...well maybe its about learning to like different flavours rather than coming up with salt free versions. For instance...how about trying something like spelt pasta with olive oil, mushrooms (change varieties), garlic and roma tomatos with a sprig of basil.

Not alfredo but yummy.

I have to say...the photo still makes me hungry tho!

xx
pinks

PS - is sea salt a possibility? I only use them whenever I salt.

 
At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mrs. /t. says:

no salt butter
white pepper
white wine

/t.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger jin said...

I only use sea salt. I use it minimally as well. When JDC first moved here, he put loadz of extra salt on everything I made for him. A year & a half later, his tastebuds have become accustomed to my way of cooking & he rarely salts anything.
He also eats a whole lotta vegetarian dishes. ;-)
He also lost over 60 pounds. ;-) ;-)

Although we need to work on the ketchup thing... last night I caught him covering my Sage & Potato Gratin Dauphinois w/ketchup! I cried jinside.

LMAO @ /t.'s first comment! :-D

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Ketchup helped kill the taste of the spuds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home