Monday, February 15, 2010

Home on the range

Another Buffalo Bites the Dust


Another quiet weekend at Tiny House, nothing of note, even Chinese New Years was muted. I had planned to make some oriental style food, but by the time time dinner rolled around I opted for Buffalo burgers (the other red meat). Did make some rice in my clay pot celebrating a couple of thousand years of Chinese invention - this style pot is older than dirt, literally. Next I want to try red cooking in the pot. It is fun cooking with a method that has been around for so very long.

Clay "Sand" Pot Cooking


I was able to give the old Kitchen God a send off. Every year one is supposed to seal the old one's mouth with sesame paste, then burn the picture to send him back to the other gods so they can confab. The sesame paste is to seal his mouth so he can't rat you out. I've had his picture hanging in my kitchen for years and whether you buy into the Kitchen God or not my cooking has been blessed.

Kitchen God and Family


Celebrated Valentine's Day by heading out to the spa. Mrs. Phos seems impervious to the process, but I am like a wrung out dishrag when they are done. Got home and fell into the best sleep I have had in ages. We're talking total unconsciousness. When I win the lottery I am having a massage every day.

Anyway, happy year of the Tiger to everyone!!!

10 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I need a massage too.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

They feel so good, but I am useless for a whole day after...

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger boneman said...

found this old relic laying about in my documents...thought I'de take it out for a spin...

So, a fellow with an SUV pulled up to the pumps one cold morning, and the attendant came out, "Fill er up!" the driver said with a grin, "and can I leave the car running?"
"Sure," said the attendant, and started the pump, cleaned the windshield, the back window, the lights and plates...
After a bit, he tapped on the driver's window...
"Sir?" ha asked politely as the window rolled down, "Could you shut your engine off for a bit? your car's gaining on me,"

d=))

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Jack K. said...

One good ritual deserves another. Sending off the Kitchen God is one. Getting a massage is another. I suspect the massage ritual is better if done more than once a year.

I think I will have to investigate the clay "sand" pot method of cooking.

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger Die Muräne said...

year of the tiger... sounds good ;)

I like going to the hamam (turkish spa). Very relaxing! oh god, I realize i didn't go there for more than a year....

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

massage, eh...

i don't do massage --
nobody lays hand to this temple,
exceptin' the beautiful mrs. /t., of course

hey, that's a cool funeral urn there on your stovetop -- who's in it?

/t.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Lily said...

Just wanted to say hi, because I haven't been 'round for a while tho comment. Did read the posts though... but I'm really squeezed for time - stupid renovations and am on my way out to go abroad again.

So, seems you're holding up fine. those burgers look good!
We're also eating all kinds of weird stuff here...
probably too weird for you, but I tell ya something, your husky would surely approve!

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger dianne said...

I wish my kitchen was blessed by the Kitchen God, I have lost interest in cooking lately, it has just become a chore instead of something I used to enjoy.

I would love to go to one of those health retreats where you can relax in the mineral spa, be soothed by the water in the plunge pool complete with flowing waterfall then have a full massage, it would be such a lovely way to spend a week.

I hope you win the lottery Phos and Happy Year of the Tiger. xo ♡

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Ruela said...

Happy Year of the Tiger
Phos!

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Evalinn said...

Happy year of the Tiger to you as well! This year was the first time I saw any celebration of the Chinese new year. Which is pretty amazing, since it´s the biggest holiday on earth!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home