Wednesday, January 07, 2009

I'm Not Ignoring You, Really!

I have been inordinately busy lately for some reason or another and have just now found a moment to scribble a quick note. I want to thank Troll for invite to the bible meme, but I fear I am one of the faithless souls mentioned in his post. Shocking as it may seem I may have a bible around the house, I did spot the Episcopal Prayer Book the other day, a souvenir from my last religious experience I had. It was a great church, mostly because of the great folks that filled it - each and every one was a caring individual and I have to say I enjoyed the mass. Even so what I know about the bible could fill a thimble with plenty of room left for your thumb.

Somewhere a long the line I lost faith and transitioned to being a Humanist with Buddhist overtones. Maybe it was the carnage and deprivation throughout our world. Tough to believe anyone is watching over us all after watching the news. This feeling was only exacerbated by the pompous piety and ill considered words from some allegedly religious figures I'd hear on TV. The pope was amongst these declaring the Catholic church was the only one and true church.

Having said all that I do believe there is a divine spark that unites us and everything in the universe - if one wishes to apply some name to that force, that is fine wiht me. I may well be wrong in my belief, my theological knowledge is sadly lacking, there's no way I would care to debate anyone on Christianity or any other religion, for that matter, yet I find it hard to believe that any divine entity would turn its back on those who might worship another deity or may have come before a single deity became the vogue. Tough to picture all the Romans and Greeks burning because they figured Zeus was the man, or the Norse doomed because Odin was their choice.

I in no way am making light of anyone's beliefs, having faith is a great thing and I have to admire those who possess it. As I have said previously I think religion plays an important part in providing a moral compass, in my case the religious education I had went a long way in developing my conscience. I have a fairly well developed sense of right and wrong as well as compassion for my fellow beings. I am not perfect by any means, but strive to follow the rules handed down as they apply to my place in society.

So again, my thanks to Troll, I do appreciate your offer, it is very kind. If anyone would be interested I'd encourage you to check it out. I think Troll is a fine person and enjoy his visits as well as visiting with him, so I also encourage you to visit his blog...

12 Comments:

At 7:05 PM, Blogger Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

The ironic thing is that you and I came to sorta opposite theological conclusions. As a Wiccan, I believe the veneration of any good and loving deity is a valid path for the individual. One of the reasons I have a beef with Christianity is that it insists on including a genocidal war god in its pantheon. I can see benefit from venerating Jesus or the Holy Spirit, but not of revering the incredibly violent and unloving god of the desert.

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i heard
eric clapton is god
but
that doesn't mean i believe

/t.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I have my beliefs too.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Indigo: Everyone is welcome to believe as they wish.

/t: I heard the Beatles were more popular than Jesus - think they got in trouble for that one...

ll: I believe you are right.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger dianne said...

Hi Phos, just popping over to see you to make sure you're ok. ♥

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow Phos this almost reflects my views perfectly.

BTW I think for most of us faithless Buddhism can offer certain type of palatable wisdom at least partly because we are shielded from the nut-wing side.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger h said...

Thanks for the link-love! But the point of the new Meme isn't to gather a cabal of trolls who will agree with MY interpretations. I WANT different views.

Things will become clearer when the first few passage interpretations are posted.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger darkfoam said...

you know ..
if i were to write about my views on religion and spirituality i could almost copy this post ..

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I would consider myself more of a Spiritual person, rather than a Religious one. It's becoming increasingly apparent (to me, anyway) that all are starting to build their own variation of 'Belief', and holding on to what it is that keeps them going.
My Faith is also Wicca, and I'm proud to say that I come from a long line of Witches.

As with most faiths, the Wiccan belief is to "Do unto others as you would have done unto yourself". That is how I live my life, and wish more did as well (I'm related to Christians who try to 'spread the word', yet, are the most hypocritical people I've ever met...). I openly embraced Wicca early on, as I found it truly mirrored my own peace-loving moralistic views. Plus, you'll never see Wiccan's proselytizing door to door, trying to convert 'non-believers'...

Here's my reasoning: Picture 'Heaven' as a temple. Visualize this temple, of whatever Faith it may be, and the doors that will allow entry to it. Most temples have doors to the sides, the back, the front, and even some at the basement. Regardless of any door you use to enter, whichever you use will allow you access to the temple.
And that's how I see it. It doesn't matter what door (Faith) you use, as long as you live by the Golden Rule (Do unto others...), you WILL get in...

My two cents...

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger How do we know said...

Hey Phos.. Happy New Year and hope u get back to writing soon.. tho the pictures u post are nice.. one does kind of wait for ur words.

:-)

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Jack K. said...

Phos, our spiritual paths are somewhat similar. My college studies brought me to the Eastern philosophies. Subsequent readings moved me in the same direction. I keep this reading list up to date as new books cross my path.

About 25 years ago I came across "Messages from Michael" by Yarboro. She wrote four books. They all make sense to me. Since then I have discovered a Michael Teachings web site. This site provides more insights into the meaning of existence.

I do believe that we are all connected at a level that has to do with the energy within us. I am with those who would interpret this energy as pure love. As we tune into that energy more, we will treat others more lovingly. After all, what you give out is what you will receive.

So it seems to be a good idea to be a positive, loving person. I hope I am operating at more that 75% efficiency in this quest.

Jewels ...the Wiccan belief is to "Do unto others as you would have done unto yourself" is one that I first heard about as the Platinum rule. It means so much more than the Golden rule.

May peace and love be with you all.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger leelee said...

This post could have been written by me (well not really, I don't think I could have written it as well) but indeed I share your sentiment in regards to religion..

well said..

HUGS!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home