Wednesday, December 24, 2008

An Unexpected Gift

There are many ways to look at this holiday, from my point of view it is a good time for self reflection and time to think about what impact, if any one has had on his fellow man. Part of that comes down to what has one given of him or herself and in my mind the gift of love far transcends any other.

Unexpectedly I have received such a gift from the far reaches of Niagara, arriving in a small parcel in the mailbox. Opening the package I found several meticulously beaded shapes, simple in form but a profound statement of Jewel's craft and a honey dipper that sprang from a piece of wood under the talented and loving hands of her father. They are incredible treasures to me, but the best part was the letter accompanying the art - all together I received the craft of their hands and the warmth of Jewel's heart, an incredible gift. Perhaps the greatest thing can give of one's self, friendship and caring.

The beadwork and dipper hang from my Christmas tree for now, later to be placed with reverence in a display case so I can share their beauty with everyone. I will save the letter as well, though the words are imprinted on my mind. So thank you Jewel's, thank you for the wonderful art, but most of all, thanks for the friendship. That is what makes this time of year so wondrous...

I will post pictures soon, but if you can't wait to see some of Jewel's work please visit her site. I have often said I enjoy Blogging because it allows one such as I to walk among giants and this is certainly an example of that - she is a consummate artist and the beadwork is a sight to behold.

11 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Blogger darkfoam said...

my most treasured gifts have also been unexpected handmade tokens ..
you have good peaceful christmas with your loved ones, phos ..

ps: and yes, i've been to her site a few times. she creates wonders..

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Pat said...

Bless you Phos. I could not have said it better. Would probably have wanted to, but I am so very glad that you said it. Love, and friendship, transcends all and in the final analysis, is all there is to strive for.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

We got an unexpected gift from the Governor this year: big tax hikes combined with a pay cut. :P

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger h said...

Χαρούμενα Χριστούγεννα

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger leelee said...

Merry Christmas Phos.

HUGS!!

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

:)
Now you know how I felt when I got Your letter, kind Sir.

I was so impatient to hear that you had received them, and could hardly contain the secret.
I'm happy you like the pieces so much that you will display them. But my hope is that you use them, and play with them, for that is what they were made for.

And foam, thank you! *G*

Pat, you have such a fantastic way to weave words my friend. I hope you never stop.

Love and Light

Jewels

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Little Lamb said...

I'll be looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Have a Merry and Joyous Christmas!

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

Merry Christmas Phoso!

Keshi.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Merry Christmas all!! So far so good. Got to sit for my grandson yesterday, he's pretty cute, in case I never mentioned that - good sense of humor too, definitely class clown material. Looks as though I'll be a grandpa for a second time as well!!

It is great having everyone together, hope you all are having as good a time as I!!!

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Merry Christmas to you Phos. The people we meet thru our blogs are what keeps us going.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger sparringK9 said...

Merry Christmas PhoKid! you havent picked up your gift from me yet - stop by the dog yard - its waiting for you. glad you got a great handmade item. i know how terrific that is. enjoy the boy. and merry christmas!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home